[b]Mainsflow thermal store[/b] overflowing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by silas, May 12, 2004.

1. silas

silas New Member

My problem is that I have an overflowing mainslow thermal store hot water tank 30/160(direct) that is overflowing there is no air in the system, I have replaced the ball joint valve this not the problem, water entering cold feed tank from main tank below , could the problem be the non return valve?
    The other thing that I think may be the problem is the blending valve as the cold feed pipe for this feels hot what type of blending valve would I replace this with and where would I get one as there is no indication as to who manufactures this part.

Any help advice most welcome thanks Silas.

2. bilco

bilco New Member

Could it be the case that the water level is set too high and as the tank heats and the water expands, it raises the level over the expansion pipe...That would give you an intermittent overflow. If it flows continuously, I would suspect a leak between the coil and the heat store internally

3. wizard

wizard Guest

I'm with Bilco. I had excactly the same problem just before xmas. The feed/expansion tank was continuasly overflowing. Turned out to be a leaking heat exchanger where the mains pressure water to the taps was leaking into the main body of the cylinder and pushing the water level upinto the expansion tank.

It cost me £700 to replace.

Wizard