[b]Painting over varnished wood[/b]

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Fred1959, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Fred1959

Fred1959 New Member

I have some fairy good varnished wood that (on a wall in a kitchen) I want to paint over - can someone suggest the correct paint type. i want a Matt effect Finnish - making as least mess as possible is a important consideration

2. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Fred,

Is it just varnished wood, or stained and varnished?

If its stained you will need to rub down the varnish, and then give it at least two coats of Zinsser BIN (some B&Q's now sell this or go to www.decoratingdirect.co.uk ) this will stop the stain bleeding through, you can then apply 2 coats of eggshell - this will give you a flat, not quite matt but the closest you will get to matt on the woodwork.

If its not stained then rub down the varnish give it an undercoat and two coats of the eggshell.

3. Fred1959

Fred1959 New Member

thanks i'm pretty sure its not stained. i'll follow your instructions for the varnished wood. Is eggshell a brand of paint and do Dulux do a range, i've never seen it in the shops

4. Telmay

Telmay New Member

eggshell is a type of paint made by many and comes in oil and waterbase

5. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

For a "matt" finish, Farrow and Ball, not cheapest stuff, but they do produce a oil based matt finish.
    Sorry Tell, I know you love the stuff!!!

6. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I stand corrected :)

7. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I know I said this already in another thread but F&B stopped doing flat oil. Johstones does it though and that's available through their own Johnstones/Leyland decorating centres.
    Cait

8. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Oops...just thought of another thing. If you are applying a Zinsser or similar type of bonding primer there is no reason why you can't apply an paint to the surface, you could use a matt acrylic or emulsion. If it is an area that gets a lot of wear and tear though I would go for an eggshell finish.
    C

9. paintycait

paintycait New Member

or an oil based matt...

10. paintycait

paintycait New Member

OK...I know...serial posting but apologies due, I spoke with a rep the other day who told me I couldn't get F&B or Dulux DFO any more....he was lying F&B do make it still but you have to order it, it's no longer on the shelf (2-3 working days)