[b]The best paint IS?[/b]

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Cecilh, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

joinerjohn: Just a quick question. Why is Dulux Once called Once
    ? I have never ever had to use only one coat to get a
    great finish that covers well.

Dulux Once Gloss has been specially developed by ICI to give one coat coverage. Its drip-resistant formulation is easy to use and requires no undercoat. It can be used both inside and outside on wood and metal surfaces. Do not stir or shake.
    Use a clean, good quality brush and load generously with paint, then apply a thick even coat.

It's no good over bare wood or wood that looks like it needs undercoating but.......in the right circumstances and right hands you can make a superb job with it when using over existing gloss.
    Just done a large bay windowsill with it and the finish is staggering.

Tis from ICI y'know. ;)

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

i thought he meant the emulsion

3. Telmay

Telmay New Member

The Once emulsion is pretty nasty in my opinion, not my joke but used here before:

Its called Once as you will only ever use it Once

4. jcts

jcts Active Member

Its called Once as you will only ever use it Once

hahaha

5. biggun

biggun New Member

Contract matt emulsion...
    Glidden...Two coats on new plaster and touches in perfect every time
    Vinyl matt emulsion...
    Glidden again...used it today and perfect-customer over the moon
    Water based gloss...
    Leyland "Acrylux" if over existing-self undercoating and used on same job today-no probs
    Johnstone's "Aqua" undercoat & gloss - paints like oil, inside & out, and dries to a high sheen- absolutely lovely to cut in with..Try it!!
    External gloss
    Has to be Dulux Weathershield- used it for 12 years now and never once had a complaint..da business!
    Masonry paint
    Has to be Glidden Pliolite- exceptional coverage and price, I won't use any other!
    Woodstain
    Difficult one but if a contract job then Johnstone's woodworks satin and if private Dulux Weathershield.

6. biggun

biggun New Member

Forgot to say Dulux on exterior ...
    Internal-Johnstone's polyurethane stain/varnish..Marvelous

7. Cecilh

Cecilh New Member

Great.

Same could be asked of a car. Which is the best car? - No-one on this forum can, hand on heart, advise the best car on the market. Ask who sells most cars in Britain and most folk will say Vauxhall or Ford.

You know, the only reason I started this thread was because there were so many advisors favouring the Dulux brand of paints. I'm pleased that so many use other products - have open views - try/favour the likes of Crown / Johnstones etc.

Moreover, that all like to use different brands depending on the job at hand wether internal or external.

A good tradesman should be familiar with all brands and I'm afraid if one has a bias to a particular product he's not so good a decorator as he thinks he is.

I guess if a DIY'er were now to look over these comments he/she could get a better idea for themselves a product which is going to work for a specific job.

I suppose it is so much easier to say Dulux. It is a short word. It's easier to say Dulux because it is sold in nearly all the major DIY stores. And this is where it becomes a product leader. Mention Dulux to the DIY'er and he's off down to the local B&Q store where it is displayed in abundance.

But, because it is readily available does not mean it is the dogs danglies.

Does it matter if you give your best advice to DIY enthusiasts? Of course it does. They are keen. They want to make the best job they are capable of so why not ask for it here, from the professionals.

So after all that it appears;

Crown
    Dulux
    Glidons
    Johnstones
    Leyland

Are all the best paints

8. oldhouserestorer

oldhouserestorer New Member

OK, what about this just to be different:

Exterior:
    Craig & Rose pure lead gloss (need to have licence to use this)
    Holkham linseed paints

Interiors:
    F&B eggshell and dead flat oil
    Potmolen distemper
    Nutshell eco emulsion

Depends on what you mean by best paints. Getting a quick, easy and cheap finish isn't necessarily the same as best.

9. Welsh decorator

Welsh decorator New Member

Nice one oldhouse!
    You missed Limewash & Disstemper, just for the sake of it!
    But, yes you are quite right, "hourse's for course's" and if your user name is correct, yours is the most difficault "course" of them all to put in a cozy catergory.
    Farrow & Ball do some exalent prod's in this area, but generally are seen as "high brow".

10. oldhouserestorer

No, Welshie, distemper IS there. As you say, limewash should be included though, especially on lime plaster in basement areas or on exterior renders. But, I didn't mention the very best paint of all: lead flatting. About five or six coats, rubbed down between applications, lasts indefinitely - especially if given a rub of raw linseed oil every 20 years or so. I have some at my house from the 1790s which hasn't needed to be touched and looks as fresh as a daisy. Nothing beats it.

11. danennis60

danennis60 New Member

I live not far from potmolen paints oldhouserestorer, do you rate their distemper pretty highly then. Never used it but as i'm tending to do more period properties due to my move to Wiltshire it is handy to know. I had a peek in the window (as it was closed) and it looked a pretty good little shop.

12. oldhouserestorer

All of the Potmolen paints I have tried are good, although they are very expensive. If you live near to them, ask for Mrs. Butcher who is one of the owners. I have spoken to her on the phone and she can always advise about paints for particular jobs. Rose of Jericho is also a very good firm for distempers. The best colour range is F&B however.

13. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Cecilh sorry I dont agree with your quote

A good tradesman should be familiar with all brands and I'm afraid if one has a bias to a particular product he's not so good a decorator as he thinks he is

What if (s)he is aware of other brands and decides that one particular brand is better? - I understand your theory about knowledge of other products and that is fair point and agree, but you cannot make the sweeping comment that if an individual decorator has a sway towards one brand for thier core materials that does not make them a bad decorator - for example does that make Dulux Select decorators not as good as they think they are?

You will also find that the majority of advice on this site is given to DIY'ers and most prodcust they will find are in the DIY sheds - horses for courses

14. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Dulux trade super matt, new plaster or hard wearing finish wanted.

Dulux trade silk or matt for normal work

Dulux trade satinwood

Dulux trade hih gloss, interior gloss finish

Leyland acrylic primer undercoat, as a primer only

Dulux trade undercoat

Exterior wood, Dulux trade weathershield

Exterior masonry, leyland piolite

Dulux trade Primer sealer

Woodstain, interior and exterior, Sadolin

15. Telmay

Telmay New Member

So where did Cecilh go then?

16. handyman.

handyman. New Member

he didnt know the little known fact that if you mix too many different paint manufacturers paints together that they are highly explosive. He had the back of his estate car full of paints from around the world (to go to the house that jack built), and a lorry rear ended him, and he was vapourised in the explosion that followed.

RIP

17. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Slightly off-topic, but this is for 'oldhouserestore'

What was the outcome of the painters that was cocking up the job, did you get the matter resolved? :)

18. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Its a shame that people dont answer your posts, just drift on through and all because we dont doff our caps and thank them for putting us right!

19. T-C

T-C New Member

the best paint on the market is SIKKINS , gloss , satin finish and stains. but also the dearest. nearlly all my jobs i use Dulux trade paint, bought from dulux centres free delivery and nectar points. as a dulux select decorator all my work is garanteed by dulux for a year when i use dulux trade paints we have a net work of over a 1000 members country wide, get work through the scheme, free yellow pages ad, and lots of surport. dulux trade paint can be relied appon. and the new diamond range are brill. have a look on their web www.duluxselectdecorators.co.uk. also www.trustmark.org and www.checkatrade.com all brillient schemes for the proffesional decy, regards T-C

20. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Superdec, how about another post telling us yet again that your Dulux select and how good you are ;)