Back Boiler/ Hot water copper cylinder??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joseph04, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Joseph04

Joseph04 New Member

Hey there! so firstly i know literally nothing about plumbing so your going to have to bear with me on this.
    somone left our hot water tap on for about 2 hours last night by accident. the house we live in is about 45 years old all with the orginal wiring and plumbing. the copper hot water cylinder in our hot press is now stone cold, is this beacuse the hot water was just emptied out of it as the tap was left on for so long? is it now full of cold water or is it totally empty?? do you think leaving the tap on did any damage to this? or does it just fill with cold water and is heated up again with lighting the fire,

this brings me on to my second question

also we have what i think is called a solid fuel back boilder in the Kitchen which we use to heat the radiator and the cylinder in the hot press? we light to fire in the kithcen to heat it. would leaving the tap on have effected this in any way? i mean is this still full of water or is it anything to do with the tap in the first place im worried becuse ive heard abut these things exploding, im scared to actually light the fire in the kitchen now incase it explodes or something

any help with this would be really appreciated, sorry for the stupid questions but i just need peace of mind, thanks, Jo.

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

It’s fine.
    Nothing to worry about.

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

All you did was empty the water which had been heated and replaced it with cold. Youll be fine re lighting the BBU If you also have an immession use that to give it a boost if your in a rush for hot water.