Back boxes filled with plaster

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIY womble, Jun 12, 2018.

1. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Quite simply because I can either clean the boxes out afterwards or I can tuck the cables in, it doesn't really matter which I do however if I help the plasterer out then he should help me out as well.

It seems like you think I should tuck the cables in to help you out but then spend extra money on something to make your job quicker, what gives.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just tuck the cables in and then stuff some newspaper or a piece of cardboard in, simples!

4. DIY womble

I do agree with you tucking the cables in and thought it would be in your interest to cover so to protect your cables from damage , I assumed wrong and was really asking for design faults, I thought it would be a more professional approach to a common moan

5. DIY womble

A standard template , pair of scissors ,I don't like the cost , the packaging cardboard for boxes could have tear- outs

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As per Sen - put the box on top of some stiffish cardboard and draw round it. Cut along the lines and push the cardboard into the box until flush with box lip - easy and cheap.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

then plasterer will skim over thinking it's an old box :)

8. peter palmer

Basically, its just asking for the box to be completely skimmed over. I've had boxes vanish that have just had the wires curled up in plenty of times. Shock horror that any other tradesman should lose a minute of paid time doing the right thing for once, it must be this two way street they keep talking about.

9. zeespark

zeespark Member

I sometimes use these, they kill more birds with one stone than those cardboard jobbies

http://yoozybox.co.uk/

Andy

10. DIY womble

I've looked at these, they appear to highlight a main problem, the cover has screw heads that catch a plasterer's trowel, electricians seem to want plasterer's to go around the box, plasterer's want to skim flush and be able to remove cover when finished as the boxes outline would be clearly visible even if it's days after

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Just another thing to carry around/lose.
    In my experience, bloomin platerers will just fill your boxes/push your lighting wiring up into the ceiling etc and then plaster over the lot. Better for the poor dears to at least see some new wiring....

My first and second thought about this thread

Not your company is it @DIY womble ? You seem to be awfully keen on them?

12. peter palmer

More often than not the plasterer says he will do this.

images.jpg

But actually does this

boxmate11.jpg

Then makes every excuse under the sun as to why he couldn't do it this time.

Sparkielev likes this.
  13. DIY womble

Not my company, genuinely interested why they're not used as clearly plasterer's want to trowel flat across boxes, going round is a bodge not just inconvenient, i thought electricians would want their work protected , a few mm of skim on top of the protecting cover is clearly visible

14. DIY womble

Not my company, genuinely interested why they're not used as clearly plasterer's want to trowel flat across boxes, going round is a bodge not just inconvenient, i thought electricians would want their work protected , a few mm of skim on top of the protecting cover is clearly visible

15. DIY womble

I'm getting the impression that some electrician's don't understand plastering, not giving up hope yet

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It’s not plastering that’s the problem, it’s who does the job:mad:

17. DIY womble

Agree , do you tuck your cable
    Agree , I have no problem with my builders but was shocked at all the problems posted from spark's about plasterer's , was starting to get the impression that not tucking cables in boxes was the only answer , I assumed this problem only exists on site work , but also genuinely wondered why the electrician , after years of this problem didn't do something about it, if I were doing cables I wouldn't want a stranger perhaps firstly filling the box with plaster and more importantly cleaning it out after with some sharp chisel

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ha ha ha.
    You don’t honestly think that plasterers clean the boxes out afterwards, do you?

tore81 likes this.
  19. DIY womble

I don't work on sites , only occasionally ever heard of the problem , if its like that I'm even more curious , would definitely use the card inserts and probably ask for them not to be cleaned out , I wouldn't trust a stranger

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you worked on sites the process goes like this.

Electrician does first fix (runs cables, fits back boxes, etc). Then goes away from site to do other work elsewhere.
    You may not go back on site until other trades have done their work. This will include plastering.

You'll then return to site to carry out second fix = fitting sockets and switches etc.
    While you have been away all sorts of sins will have been perpetrated on your cables
    Which will have been:
    • Moved out of the way
    • Poked back up into the ceiling
    • Chopped off because the wires were in the way of where the plumber wants to put his pipes
    • Screwed through, or punctured by those pesky nail guns
    • etc etc
    The plasterer may well have filled some of the boxes up with bonding coat and then run finishing coat over the top so you have no idea where they are or were. Its only when you start testing that you find you do not have continuity for the circuit.......

I'm not making anything up - All of the above have happened to me on various domestic projects for customers.

tore81 and Sparkielev like this.