Backer board

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Nic222, May 4, 2020.

1. Nic222

Nic222 New Member

Hi,

I'm prepping my hall and downstairs bathroom floor to lay some large porcelain tiles. Currently the floorboards are covered with 6mm ply. I've decided to use backer board to lay the tiles on. My question is, do I take up the ply first and put the backer board directly onto the floorboards? It's a Victorian house and floorboards are in good condition (no squeaks). Or do I lay the backer board on top of the ply which does flex very slightly. Also, how should I fix the backer board down to the floorboards.I don't really want to raise the height of the floor too much so I would prefer to remove the plywood first.

Thanks

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Take up ply and screw backerboard down onto floorboards would be my guess. I think Hardiebacker recommend specific screws for their boards, but also think I used normal drywall screws when I put my boards on the wall.

Even better - where you can, mark out where the joists go so you screw into the joists not just the floorboard. Careful if there are any pipes or cables down there!

3. Nic222

Nic222 New Member

Thanks for your help.

4. John.h.

John.h. New Member

Hardie backer boards I thought you had to put down with tile adhesive then screw down. I used 6mm no more ply which you fix down with glue and screws.

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. Nic222

Nic222 New Member

Thank you. I was thinking of using no more ply with glue and screws.