BACKSET - what is it?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by totalsplurdy, Apr 30, 2010.

1. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Is it from the face to where the key or handle is inserted, or from the face to the very back of the lock - ie: how deep the mortice has to be cut?

Ta much.

(Upper glass panelled door with ~90mm wide stiles. Has main lock fitted at normal handle height, but was recommended to have an additional lock fitted half way up the glass panel. Best recommendations? Thanks.)

2. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Ok, it's where the key goes... :)

3. wuddy

wuddy Member

its from the face to the centre of the spindle

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

if it is a dead lock then it will be to the centre of the key hole

5. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Hands up those that have broken the glass fitting a lock on a pre-glazed door... lol (Yep., I got that tee shirt.)

6. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Yep me too! It was my own door aswell! I was trying to be as careful as... beavers and still managed to hit the glass!

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Been there , done that , got the bloody T shirt.
    I usually use forstner bits for locks on glass panelled doors.
    Last year I was fitting some internal panelled doors and the customer wanted a mortice lock on one bedroom door. I thought I'd use my auger bit to drill the lock out. Got distracted for half a second whilst drilling and came through to the panel. Luckily I had some easy 1 filler and the door was being painted.

8. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

Ha ha! Cheers, gents!

I guess I'll be recommending a Yale 'night latch' type, then - chust a single hole through the side for the barrel...

9. wizwoz

wizwoz Member

Wise choice..lol. Having learned my lesson I now keep in my box a flat bit with the point sawn off and the depth marked in felt tip, for the last few mm..

10. totalsplurdy

totalsplurdy New Member

11. dual193

dual193 New Member

I have just done this for the first time in 20 years of hanging doors.. I could not believe I had done it and considered hanging up my chisels, I was that depressed... Now thanks to the honesty on this post I feel a bit better about myself and perhaps won't shout at any of the lads anymore.