bad conduct?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by JMD, May 23, 2021.

1. JMD

JMD Member

Hi.
    Recently had some plumbing work done but there was a slight leak on one of the new radiators. Plumber wanted to come back on Friday and asked if I would leave key or what time someone would be home. I replied to say 4.45pm and he agreed the time. Moved heaven and earth to get home on time only to find he had attended early (no cars on drive), knocked door and asked my teenage son if he could come in to do the work. I feel quite annoyed, am I being unreasonable?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you not inform your son that the plumber was calling?
    Did the plumber do the work?
    On a Friday we all want to get home.

JMD likes this.
  3. TangerineDream

TangerineDream Active Member

How old is your teen son & did he let the plumber in to do the work? Sometimes a job gets finished earlier (or later) than expected. It could be that his prev. job finished earlier so a certain amount of leeway is needed.

JMD likes this.
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Can't see that is an issue. As above, finished a job early and quite reasonably thought he would pop round, maybe was in the area, and see if anyone was in. He would in all probability not have known that you had "moved heaven and earth" to get home at that time.

I suppose you could say why didn't he give you a ring first, if he had your number, but even than I can't see it's an issue. Your son could have given you a ring.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    TangerineDream, JMD and Astramax like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Maybe, just maybe, the problem is with the son!..............way too much cotton wool.

6. JMD

JMD Member

Son is 13, he did let him in (I had told son plumber was coming at 4.45, but I would be home). Work was done. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll just forget about it.

Astramax and Muzungu like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Really wasn't worth mentioning, all's well, it's about trust and delegation! ;)

8. JMD

JMD Member

I haven't said anything, just how I felt unless you mean wasn't worth posting? Had a couple of hiccups with the job so trust not quite there yet!
    Thanks.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Don’t think your being unreasonable.
    A time was arranged for the job to be done.
    Whilst it’s always great to arrive early that doesn’t entitle people to start the job early.
    But if you do arrive early and try to access the job and are allowed in to the property then as far as the bloke is concerned all is good.
    I always aim to be slightly early if possible by a few minutes.
    If I’m a fair bit early I’ll always ask if it’s ok to start as there’s no harm in asking.
    I’m certainly not offended if told it’s not ok.

Im guessing you didn’t want your son in the house alone with the plumber. This isn’t unreasonable as some parents will allow their child home alone as long as they don’t answer the door.
    Each parent is different.

TangerineDream and JMD like this.
  10. JMD

JMD Member

You understand my point exactly Mike. Son wouldn't have answered door but was caught in full view of window so felt unable to say No. Also felt calling me would appear rude. Will politely ensure this doesn't happen for 2nd fix on other rads!
    Thank you.

TangerineDream likes this.
  11. TangerineDream

It's always a tricky one. Thankfully it turned out fine. In my town whenever a plumber is needed they say "tomorrow". When prompted for a time, theyll reply with "sometime tomorrow, could be morning, could be afternoon". If I can get them to say either morning or afternoon then Ive narrowed them down to a window :D

JMD likes this.
  12. JMD

JMD Member

Thank you Basil Brush. I am feeling much better now. I could have employed you to do the job, thankfully not!

13. JMD

JMD Member

Actually I don't work all week and offered if 4.45 inconvenient we could rearrange when it would be more convenient to him. Plus he had already been back once to fix leak but failed to bring the right tool. Still he is far more respectful than you so I'm feeling OK now. Thanks for your valuable input!

14. TangerineDream

JMD, they are trolling & on a wind up.

JMD likes this.
  15. JMD

JMD Member

I'm smiling, not wound up.

gadget man and TangerineDream like this.