Bad plastering or over reaction?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Martin McFadyen, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Martin McFadyen

Martin McFadyen New Member

Hi,

I recently had an extension built and not too happy with the plastering finish. Is this an over reaction or am I justified in getting it fixed?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2zh0rb78a/

Cheers

Martin

2. The Spark must have had one leg shorter than the other, looking at the double socket.

3. Martin McFadyen

There's a couple more like that Deleted member 11267. Including switches. Easy fix though....

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Very rough.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If that is indeed new work and not a skim over existing, then it's extraordinarily sloppy lazy work. The painter needs a good boot in the knackers in line with the shoddy plasterer. Where have all the decent trades gone?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sat here on a Sunday morning criticising sloppy work :D

Jord86 likes this.
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Doesn't look good.

Where did the spread come from?

Recommendation?

Through the builder?

Checkatrade kind of nonsense?

Or was it the builder himself?

Was the plastering down as part of the job or a later add on?

Finally how much did you pay for what kind of volume of work?

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I know, nothing better to do, we're such a bunch of saddoes :)

9. Martin McFadyen

Goldenboy,

It was through the builder, his own plasterers he uses.

It was down as part of the overall scope

Plastering was build in to the fixed price cost.

Cheers

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you're happy with everything else I'd politely mention to the builder that you're over the moon with everything.....BUT, disappointed with the quality of the wall finishes, and point out the paint marks over new uPVC and switches/sockets. He should sand and fill where needed, remove any paint splashes and repaint the walls until the finish is representative of brand new work, for no extra cost to you.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Whats the money situation without prying?

Are you still holding some of the payment back?

Because that plastering is awful.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

plus one.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

plus two

14. There is no excuse for fitting and leaving sockets like that,it is just cowboy workmanship.
    It looks like you will probably need to move the back box, which will cause more damage.You could be lucky and get it on the adjustable lug but doubtfull.

15. Martin McFadyen

I've sent the builder and the architect an email praising him for his work, however the plastering is disappointing. I've already had the plasterer up to finish behind the toilet, however, he still never removed the toilet so sections are still visibly missing. I told him I've lost all confidence in the plasterer so I've arranged for my own to come and inspect and give me a price...

The new porch was build from scratch and the new toilet but unfortunately the finish looks as though the porch has been there for many years. The new toilet was a blank canvas but they decided to plaster two walls then wait until the toilet was on and skim around it....

There's still a few grand held back as per the contract.

I have a site meeting with the architect (who recommended the builder) and builder to look at the other snags on Tues and to discuss the other issues.

I really don't mind sanding here and there and filling bits in but the finish is disappointing.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did the painter use a brush or white stick, to be fair if the painter also was wearing dark glasses it would have been difficult to see where filler was required.:rolleyes:

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plastering around the bog is a joke that isn't funny. Smacks how lazy they are and is ultra amateur, not something a decent builder or tradesman would even comprehend. On the plus side, a contract covers both parties, and the few thousand you still have hold of will be more than enough to rectify any decoration issues.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  18. Martin McFadyen

Appreciate the replies guys.

I'm hoping the builder understands and doesn't put these issues down to "minor" snags and demands the majority of his money....

Cheers

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Explain to him that you arent trying to be difficult, that you are not trying to "do" him for money, just say that you feel the plastering finish is a real problem and that "between you and him you dont have faith in his plasterer to be able to sort it out". Ask him if he would be happy with that work in his own house. Ask him if they have worked together long or its his first job for him.

If he insists its a minor snag and that he doesnt see it as a problem then the route to go down is for him to get three quotes to rectify, you get three quotes to rectify and average them out and knock it off the bill. It should be straightforward for a good spread to sort. It needs a full skim over in my opinion.

If he holds firm and demands his cash or wants to knock a tiny bit off or it gets a bit nasty, then get your quotes average them, knock it off, pay him up and tell him to put you through smalls claims if he wants the rest.

We all encounter customers trying it on, holding back large chunks for tiny snags or a 30% final for a single handmade door handle they added on from a supplier in Pyongyang at the 11th hour. But this case seems genuine. The spread the builder uses is rubbish or lazy or both. Its the builders fault.

Jord86 likes this.