Bad Plastering?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Bry4DIY, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Bry4DIY

Bry4DIY New Member

Hi,

I have just had my 1930s house replastered. We stripped most of the house back to brick And paid a local tradesman a (a fair bit) he had good references online and seemed an honest bloke.

We have since (2 days after completion) found some of the walls severely bow and one wall in perticular kicks out at least half inch at the bottom. We have also found some of the finish to be particularly bad, and as of yesterday found a hairline crack from ceiling to floor in one room.

My question is is this normal or have we been stung by a cowboy? "John Wayne" as I know refer to him said that the walls were bad and that's why it isn't perfectly straight! I'm not convinced as I know the walls (brick) was straighter than the finish.

2. If the plaster has added to the 'out-of-straightness' of your wall, then that is pants.

Having said that, I simply do not know if plasterers, as a rule, check for plumbness of walls before tackling them?

As for finish - any chance of some photos?

Bottom line - if it isn't good enough, he'll have to redo them or else pay for someone else to do so.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would never trust online references, although I wasn't a plasterer by trade, I've done a lot over the years, before starting, with old walls first job was plumbness, then you could work out if any areas needed building up (truing up as I called it)prior to the top coat.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Trouble with brick is you don't know where cracks are or could form so can't tape it. I would call him back to sort out plus fix the problems you have found. Give him chance to sort out

5. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Have you paid the full amount fella?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm assuming the plasterer wet plastered all the 'problem wall's, not drylined and skimmed?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even wet plastered you should be able to sort out levels, might having pulling your hair out though at times, but sometimes drylining can be the easier option, even though I'm not fond of it.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Here's my thing, I'm not slighting the OP but they are clearly convinced the guys done a bad job (John Wayne?) yet are still asking if these issues are normal? Apart from the 'severe bows' in the wall (which is debatable, what constitutes a severe bow?) the other issues sound minor, a small crack is nothing to rake out, fill and paint, and half inch plaster at base of wall, gets chipped off when you fit the skirting and any damage hidden. To me it sounds like the plasterer did indeed have bad walls to work with, and as anyone in a trade knows you can ultimately only do so much with what's already there.

I'm not shooting off before I know the score, but too many people are quick to slight others work without understanding the limitations they have to work with. Some photos would give a clearer picture.

DannyDoLittle and KIAB like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Some walls I have to skim are shocking as regards flatness. The thing is, most people wouldn't notice, unless they held a straight edge against them. If your ceiling lines, internal angles and skirting line are reasonably straight then to the eye, the wall is 'flat' even if it ain't.

10. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Well said fella

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If it looks right, then it is right.

Bry4DIY likes this.
  12. Bry4DIY

Bry4DIY New Member

No the inch extra is very noticeable, and starts higher than skirting level. An inch out maybe generous.

Anyway John Wayne Came back and fixed 50% of the problems. I will have to do some filling and sanding.... and use strews to fix one serverly curved wall but I think I can get away with it.

Was a shame as we would have had more work for him on the extension and next property.

At least he fixed the worst of it

13. Bry4DIY

Bry4DIY New Member

Thanks all, just wanted to know if I was being unreasonable wanting a better job... we managed to get the plaster back and he admitted it was a poor finish on some rooms. He fixed 50% of the snaggs we will have to learn by our mistakes and only pay once happy with the work

14. Bry4DIY

Bry4DIY New Member

No one of the worst curves was drylined and you didn't need a straight edge to know how bad it was

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

To be fair to him he came back many wouldn't

16. Bry4DIY

Bry4DIY New Member

We were happy to ignore slight bends/ curves in walls as you said the eye only picks up where a straight line meets.

The skirting was where it showed up the most, plus we are putting down wooden flooring that runs same direction

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've been in my current house around 20 years and over that time, have had a fair bit of building work and decorating done (and everything else inbetween)

Have had every original room replastered, and new extension was blockwork, thermal PB, then skimmed

Have used several tradesmen and building firms over that time and I have to say, the main problems and arguments I have had have been with the quality of the plastering - similiar issues to the op. Have always been friendly to the guys, never tried to knock them on price as good plastering don't come cheap) always supplied copious quantities of drinks and biccies, paid staged payments if agreed or however they want, not expected the impossible but have always made clear that I intend to simply paint the new plaster so I'm looking for a good finish and I am a fussy so and so

Ok, I expect a small amount of prep before painting, maybe a light rub down, a smear of filler here and there, but generally a smooth, flat surface that will look brilliant when painted. I don't expect to pay for a top job then have to spend my w/end making good before painting

Have had plasterers come back after I've complained only to argue that the job is done to a high standard, that I'm expecting too much, pay us the balance or the f-ing plaster is coming back off the wall, and several that refused to come back or answer their phone

Problem is, the plaster usually looks great when it's first done and dark. It's only as it dries out that the problems start to magically appear - in cold weather, or when the wall has been bonded as well, this can take several days drying time

Trouble is, you've paid the guy once he's finished and it all ends on friendly terms. And most of us don't like being confrontational. But when you've paid your hard earned cash to a professional, and the job just isn't as expected, both sides need to come to some compromise and / or agreement

If you want to end up with perfect walls, no matter how bad they are in the 1st place, it's down to the plasterer to explain the options how this can be achieved. May require more work, drylining, bonding, hacking plaster off, etc. This is all fine and will be reflected in the price quoted, then it's up to the homeowner to either accept quote or not.

Often the homeowner doesn't explain what he / she is expecting as they feel intimidated faced by a professional and don't feel that they can tell the pro exactly what they want (ok, in some cases may not be possible) Equally it's down to the pro to explain how this top class job can be achieved, even though (rubbing chin and sucking air through teeth) it's gonna cost more :)

If the walls are that bad and need more prep/ materials to carry out a decent job, then as a pro with experience, make this known and explain the process that this will take

More communication on both sides is needed plus a pair of balls and the conviction that the work simply isn't good enough compared to what you was expecting to receive, combined with the price charged

It can be a messy and frustrating process, I've been there several times unfortunately :mad:

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plus point to the guy for coming back and attempting to sort it, small plus point for being honest with you and admitting the finish was poor in some areas, big minus point for leaving you with a curved wall that he'd dot and dabbed himself! Its not that hard to do, in fact relatively easy for a tradesman doing it day in day out. As you stated, shame it didn't end well. Don't let this experience put you off and think all plasterers are slapdash, as they're not.

19. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

It's not normal, no, and you should not accept it. Having said that, it could well be that he has just had a bad day. I have known even the very best plasterers to lose it now and then and just make a damn mess! The best thing to do is get him back and point out the problems. If you are afraid of being blinded by science then get an expert in. If you don't know where to find one, speak to your mortgage company. They will know local experts who can take a look.