Badly cut and filled worktop edge/join

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Josoul, Nov 3, 2018.

  1. Josoul

    Josoul New Member

    I’ve just had a kitchen fitted by a recommended fitter.
    Having had a lot of issues with Howdens ( incorrect measurements, wrong cabinates, numerous missed and incorrect items) he did a really good job of working through the layout and installation of the kitchen.
    However he’s left me with a very rough countertop join, filled with colour fil.
    Please see attach image.

    I’m Really disappointed particularly as he felt it was acceptable - sort of went with it as the whole job had nearly taken 4 weeks and I was at my absolute wits end.
    Then I discovered the additional two issues. Wanting to discuss these points he’s now not responding to any phone messages.
    The additional two images show the level of detail or rather not he had - - Endstrip dot attached with silicone and not trimmed to correct height (took one counter top clean for it to catch and snap)
    - Pathetically cut up stand ( probably took longer to fill than Cut another bit)

    So rather than ranting ( sorry) my question is ..can the joint be cleaned and filled any better?

    Unfortunately it’s the longest piece with the sink in otherwise I’d just take it out and recut.

    The other two issues I’m not too worried about and can get sorted my self.
    Though I Would quite like any thoughts please.

    Many thanks in advance

    Attached Files:

  2. Pigkeeper

    Pigkeeper New Member

    Hello Josoul,
    The joint is poorly made. Unfortunately I don’t think it can be rectified with the worktops in place.
    Both worktops would have to be removed and a new joint made.
    This may not be possible if there is not enough length of Worktop to allow for such a joint but this is not clear from your pictures.
    The other faults, although, disappointing, are more easily rectified.
  3. jimoz

    jimoz Active Member

    That's awful. I'm primarily a joiner not kitchen fitter but I wouldn't leave a worktop looking like that. He mustn't have much pride in his work. Not sure if you can get him to replace as I suppose opinion is subjective but looks like it's been cut wrong way up. That end is a joke blobs of silicone!
  4. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Well-Known Member


    Let's start with pic 1:
    That is not a proper worktop join of any sort. It's just been rough cut from above and then butted into the other top with some filler thrown in. Completely wrong on all levels.
    Pic 2:
    Worktop edging should be glued on with contact adhesive, not just a few blobs of silicone :eek:
    Pic 3:
    Looks like a rat has been trying to chew it's way through the upstand.

    As has been said, the worktop needs to come out and a proper Masons Mitre cut with a router and jig for the corner joint. It's almost certainly going to have to be a replacement top for the male half of the joint, because cutting the male will result in the worktop being shorter.
    The edging just needs to be replaced and glued on with contact adhesive, then can be filed down properly.
    The upstand can be cut and joined to a leftover length if you have any.

    I'd be more careful in future where you get your recommends from, because clearly the guy that fitted your kitchen was no kitchen fitter.
    gpierce likes this.
  5. Josoul

    Josoul New Member

    Thanks for all your comments and thoughts - all very much appreciated.

    Not a great experience all round and one I won’t let happen again .
  6. masterdiy

    masterdiy Active Member

    Josoul, I take it you have paid the guy?
    Second Q is why do people pay up when they are clearly not satisfied ??
    You should complain about the work & not pay.
  7. gpierce

    gpierce Active Member

    KitFit is right on the money, you're going to need a new piece of worktop to sort that join out, at least the female side of the joint should have enough material left to recut.

    If you have an address for him, I'd write a letter explaining you aren't happy, and that the long worktop needs replacing at his expense, it needs joining properly (which I'll assume will mean getting in somebody who knows something about kitchens - I'd assume he doesn't have the tools or skills to do a masons mitre). Send this by recorded delivery and give him a reasonable amount of time to respond. I'd send a text message as well as this simply saying that you intend to start legal proceedings if he doesn't respond. If you don't hear back, or he doesn't offer to put this right, then I'd advise you go down the small claims route.

    To do this you'll need to do a couple of things. Firstly I'd get a written quote from somebody to replace the worktop. Most kitchen fitters and joiners capable of doing the work will have an account with Howdens so will be able to supply the replacement worktop. The quote should cover the entire job - so don't forget about the sink being removed then re-plumbed etc and any additional making good. You can then use this as a basis to file in small claims court, which you can do online for a small fee, it's about £15 but the filing fee increases depending on how big of a claim you are putting in. I'd also get the quote to cover the other bits like the edging and the upstand, and get whoever quotes to check the rest of the kitchen as best they can - you don't want to find other problems later on if you can find them now.

    Don't be afraid to fight to get the money to put this right, it's well below standard. The small claims process is much easier than it sounds, and you won't need legal advice to do it. If he doesn't respond to your letter, there is a good chance he won't respond to court documents, and you could be looking at a default win in a matter of weeks. If he does, your pictures and a quote will be about all that you'll need, and the paperwork is pretty easy to follow.

    Spend some time searching through the forum too - you aren't the first and certainly won't be the last complaining on here about poor quality kitchen fitting (or any other job for that matter) and a lot of threads on here go into a good amount of detail about what recourse you have and how to go about it.

    Out of interest, if you look on the underneath of the worktop (from inside the cupboard) can you see any bolts recessed into the worktop holding it together?
  8. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Well-Known Member

    My guess is there will be no bolts. If the guy had a jig to route the bolt recesses, then he would have had the same jig to route the top in the first place.
  9. gpierce

    gpierce Active Member

    Exactly what I was thinking, and given the size of the gap I wouldn't trust colourfill to give a reliable long term join. Not that it really matters anyway, it needs re-doing either way round
    kitfit1 likes this.
  10. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Well-Known Member

    Exactly :D
  11. goldenboy

    goldenboy Well-Known Member

    When you say recommended. Who recommended him?
  12. ajohn

    ajohn Active Member

    A tip if you do finish up in a small claims court. Winning doesn't have to mean that you will get your money back. A consultant I had in to give an opinion on some badly done concrete work strongly suggested that I should ask the court to collect as they don't mess about - collection problems result in the bailiffs being sent in. ;) Unusual consultant - travelled and didn't charge me at all. Usually does work for companies.

    It's sad that people can be bought in to do work leaving results like those. It's a fact that we none trade people have to put up with. There may be a reason that the fitter did a joint like that - walls way out of square making use of the jig more difficult. Some how I don't think that is the reason though - just shoddy work not really suited to the worksurfaces used or any other style probably. Even a trade level jig doesn't really cost that much for some one who does a lot if it so it is a bit strange that he doesn't seem to have one.


Share This Page