Bal single part fast flex

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by tore81, Jul 24, 2018.

1. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Anyone used this stuff. It's expensive stuff and I'm finding it a nightmare to use.

Mixing it up and it's like watery consistency. Best way to describe it is very light doesn't hold a form. I can try mixing more into it.

I'm not a fan at all. I had a small little bounce on a one board to the next and top tiles basically sold it as the best stuff no problems etc. I'm finding it terrible to use.

Does anyone use the levelling systems also I'm using the latch levelling type. I don't like the way it the pulls the tile back up

2. longboat

longboat Well-Known Member

Never used the stuff and at that price i don't imagine I ever will.
    Further more, what would be the benefit of using an adhesive that allows tiles to move to that extent, especially floor tiles. Won't the grout crack?
    I used to use 'bal' adhesives almost exclusively until I discovered that the less well publicised brands do what they're supposed to at a third of the price of the bal equivalent.
    You're basically paying for them to advertise their product.

Why did you feel you needed this super dooper product, tore?

tore81 likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

What, where, with are you tiling Tore?

What levelling clips are you using?

4. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Agree with longboat! Think the guy in topps tiles gave me the wrong advice. Apparently the best stuff. Special trowel etc. Having issues with a few tiles coming up.

It's topps tiles own brand levelling system they seem to lift the tile back up. Lash system.

Seen other brands like the perfect levelling system just looks an easier system to use

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

What type/size tile?
    What size notch trowel are you using and are you back buttering the tiles?

6. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Probably about 600x 200 roughly ain't got it to hand.

I am back buttering but only putting a flat skim should I notch trowel that too?

I've changed the trowel today to a 6mm roughly. Is that ok? All going on ply which says on cement is ok

7. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

You should be using a 10mm trowel really. Thats why it ain't happening! Bigger the tile, bigger the trowel notch. How many have you out down, as you may find the rest will pop up?!

Ideally you should have screwed/bonded 6mm tile backer board over the ply first.

Important to mix the adhesive to the right consistency, then trowel on making sure that you get complete coverage (solid ribs), in one direction only, as this allows air to escape when you seat the tile. Back butter with a scrape from the flat side of the trowel to fill in any indentation before laying.

If you're struggling with the clips, its prob due to lack of adhesive thickness. The clips are great, but everything else needs to be in order for them to work properly.

tore81 and WillyEckerslike like this.