Bamboo worktop repair

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ukdiyboy, Mar 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ukdiyboy

ukdiyboy Member

Evening all,

We have a fair chunk of bamboo worktop in our house on both sides of the kitchen. Since we have been in the house I've sanded one side down and coated with Osmo Top oil - seems to be fantastic stuff and keen to do the same on the other side. Unfortunately the bit by the sync has gone a bit awry over the years and I'm keen to sort it. As you can (hopefully!) see from the photo it's got a bit of water in the form of discolouration and splitting of the joins. Any recommendations for how to fix it?

I've seen that Oxalic acid is good for removing the tannic discolouration, does that sound about right? How to sort out the splits? Is it worth getting some wood glue down into the gaps? Use some wax filler? Once sorted the entire bench will be sanded back and oiled with Osmo top oil to match the other side.

Grateful in advance for any help.
    20230306_192752.JPG

2. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I think rather than tannin stains it's wet rot staining, never tried oxalic acid on bamboo, I'd test it on the underside first, taking the black out is hit and miss.
    Best plan is just sand it, I'd go belt sander very evenly and take it down to clean, then go down the grades to about 240.

3. ukdiyboy

ukdiyboy Member

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the response. I used some oxalic acid (barkeepers friend) and it seemed to improve the staining quite a bit which with sanding dow to 240 has largely sorted it out (though was super-frustrating as old oil kept clogging the paper!).

It's not clear from the photo above, but the black line of mould/dirt at the top is caused by the small gap between the bench and bamboo 'skirting' trim on the wall - it's just small enough to be impossible to clean but olds water all too easily. Similar around the sink. Any tips on how to fill it and stop it being an issue in future? Just some mould-free corking or is there a better sandable filler for it? I have some Ronseal 2-part wood filler but their 'natural' colour isn't the most natural and might be a bit obvious.

4. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I use Danish oil for pretty much everything, if you build a solid coat with a few applications it's pretty much bomb proof, re oiling about once a year is what I think makes the difference through, that's tap off and oil under it etc.