Banging heating pipes on 1st floor joists

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by David Knox, Jan 8, 2017.

1. David Knox

David Knox New Member

Hello

New to this so apologies if I make some school boy errors!

We have recently moved in to a house (1950's Cottage) and when the CH is on the pipes are banging off the joists. What I want to do is page the pipes where they contact the joists. The problem I have is lifting the T&G floorboards without too much damage and ensuring where I make a cut of the FB it doesn't go through the pipe . The pipes are notched into the top of the joists.

Appreciate some advice and experience on how to complete this and best tools for the job

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Can you not work from the edge of the room and remove the boards until you reach the point where the pipes are located?

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Circular saw set to board thickness exactly. Away you go along the T&G. Once thge boards are up you will need some hair felt to lay around the pipes in the notches. You may also need to slightly deepen the notches with a saw and chisel.
    Most of us when installing, draw the pipe route on the boards for future reference but not every one will have done that, you may be lucky you may not.
    Only other thing you will need is a claw hammer and flat lifting bar, plus a bit of confidence to make the initial cut.