Base for a shed issues

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Christian Wynne, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Christian Wynne

Christian Wynne New Member

Hi

Recently bought a shed and need to build it (looks pretty straightforward) but need a solid base - which I don't have at present...

I have a very uneven rubble/concrete base and therefore even with metal pins and a portabase purchased, I'm knocking into solid ground so these are useless. the only option is to either pave or fill with concrete...

The surface is pretty uneven and therefore wondering if anyone has any other ideas or is it a case or one of the two options above? If that's the answer, then which one is simpler/cheaper and does anyone have any tips to make it easier. Perhaps a useful video or link to follow online?

Thanks
    Christian

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Christine as always a picture would help.
    But if you can make up a wooden frame work size of shed, level it, can you not just fill it with cement.
    Ok some places might be less thick than others, but if its on rubble thats not normally a problem.
    Size of shed? 8x6

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If the ground is fairly even and the shed not too big, then a 100mm concrete base is fairly easy. Just size it so it won't extend beyond the boundary of the shed itself (avoiding splashback), and ideally put the base of the shed on timbers that are themselves on DPC. Water is the devil here, so you don't want water getting underneath the shed, and if it does, you want air circulating so it dries out.

Otherwise some kind of timber sub frame might be better, depends on the situation.

Or put slabs down, with timbers on top to spread the load...might also work.

Photo?

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Cement ... You mean concrete. A lot here might know what you mean, but a novice may not.

Either 1 : 2 : 4 Cement : Sand : Gravel/Aggregate or 1 : 3 : 3 would be about right.