Base too small for new shed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Emms24, Jan 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Emms24

Emms24 New Member

Hi,
    I need to extend my shed base.
    I have just got rid of and old 4x6 Wooden shed. It was on a 4x10 base made of - well, basically raised decking. I don’t know what’s under it, but it served well and is still solid and level, nothing growing through it etc.
    I laid artificial grass around that shed a couple of years ago - (which was medium gravel stones on a membrane already - then added sharp sand, levelled up, then membrane …so that’s also done properly)

. I have ordered a new shed. Instead of 4x6, I could have had a longer one up to 4x10…as the decking is 4x10.
    BUT I’ve ordered a 6x10. I figured it would be easy to ‘add’ an extra 2 feet of base to widen the 4x10 into 6x10.
    I was going to buy a wooden shed base at 2x10…but can’t find one that size…or 2x5 (then I could buy 2). It’s just a 2 foot overhang for the shed. Even so, I’m concerned that even if I found a suitably sized wooden base, that I need to make sure it’s level with the current one…and the stakes don’t ‘jar’ on the stones which are below (in order going down) the: artificial grass/membrane/sharp sand/medium gravel/membrane/soil.
    I would appreciate suggestions of how to support that extra 2 feet of shed as I do not see why I would need to get rid of the already perfectly good base, as this well and truly staked into the ground.

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’m not quite clear on what you currently have but I would suggest that you build yourself a new frame alongside it. Supported by 4” minimum fence posts concreted into the ground. Make sure the frame is not sat on the ground or it will rot membrane and gravel underneath if you want to be really posh. Build it like you would a raised decking frame. I’ve just done exactly this for a client whose summerhouse was sagging as they hadn’t realised that the original builder had left it with over two foot of it hanging 2ft up in the air with zero support! They assumed the concrete base ran all the way under (as you would!). I had to cut out the floor and work between the bearers jacking the whole structure up before building the frame. Yours will be a doddle in comparison.