Base Units for Roca Basins

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by free_flyer, Apr 11, 2021.

1. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

Not quite a kitchen fitting question but more of a bathroom fitting question - but I wasn't sure which group to post in....

I would like to fit base units to the sinks in my house (Roca Gap collection).

However, these base units cost over £300 each !

Yet they are just a few sheets of laminated chipboard, so I have no idea why they are so highly over priced ?

As I have 3 sinks it would cost a staggering £1,000 just for some small chipboard units which is absurd.

Are there any alternatives that will fit these sinks or can the Roca base units be purchased at a more reasonable price ?

I have the following basins in my house...

https://www.uk.roca.com/products/wall-hung-vitreous-china-basin-327475..0?sku=A327475000 (x2)

https://www.uk.roca.com/products/wall-hung-vitreous-china-basin-327476..0?sku=A327476000 (x1)

I think these are the matching base units...

https://www.uk.roca.com/products/base-unit-856965...?sku=A856965150

https://www.uk.roca.com/products/base-unit-856966...?sku=A856966150

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

No real help to you, but to say my son has these fitted in his bathroom.
    Over priced & for me over rated. I personally wound not have them. That's MO.

free_flyer likes this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I feel your pain @free_flyer. For some reason bathroom companies seem to think charging £300+ for something that cost £50 at most to make, is fair game. You won't even get a floating under sink cab from Ikea for much under £300 :confused:

free_flyer likes this.
  4. free_flyer

free_flyer Member

The main reason I could do with these units is because I'm short on storage space, my house is only a small 2 bed.

I've found that the majority of furniture is a rip off, especially fixed furniture items.

I had the same issue when I was looking for an additional kitchen cabinet from the kitchen supplier Symphony.

Symphony quoted £472 for the double cabinet shown below !!!!

upload_2021-4-11_18-3-26.png

upload_2021-4-11_17-59-11.png

So instead I designed the same cabinet using a free 3D CAD tool...

upload_2021-4-11_18-7-2.png

I sent the drawings to an MDF supplier who cut all the panels using the same colour (cashmere grey) gloss.

The MDF supplier sent me the panels which I then assembled, I was even surprised to find they included all the fixtures and fittings which I hadn't asked for (I had already bought them else where).

Being a one off and custom made typically means it will be expensive, the total cost of this unit was £250. Yet this is still almost half the price that Symphony quoted.

Not only was it cheaper, it was also better quality. The gloss panels are MDF, where as the gloss panels on the Symphony units are chipboard. And you can tell the difference - the MDF gloss panels are nice and smooth where as the chipboard gloss panels have a slight orange peel effect.

So it just shows how much profit they must make, because a one off custom made unit (with higher quality MDF) was half the price of a production run unit (with lower quality chipboard)

I just think its unfair to rip people off like these companies do and also surprised people are willing pay these extortionate prices.

PS. Pictures of the finished kitchen cabinet are below...

IMG_8437.jpg
    IMG_8438.jpg
    IMG_8439.jpg

IMG_8440.jpg

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It is not just laminated chibpoard. There is a fair bit of work goes into making the cabinets which tend to be MDF in a lot of cases, precision cut to size and then the coating applied under both vacuum and heat. The prices shown are never to be believed and you should get a decent discount from them.

Can I suggest you find a Deuco www.deuco.co.uk agent locally and look at their range. Quality is excellent and their prices (after discount) very competitive.

free_flyer likes this.