Basin severely stuck to tiles

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 25896, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Evening all, hoping for a little forum know how. Ideal Standard basin installed four years ago and the glaze had crazed. Ideal supplied a replacement without demur, ie must've been a bad batch. Went to swap them over, easy Friday afternoon job etc. but the basin has been so securely stuck to the tiles with silicone that had I forced it off the tiles and probably the plasterboard would've come with it. I tried to cut it with a long blade but it was a tough as old boots and I tried to fashion a kind of cheese wire with a bit of earth wire from some t&e but it wasn't strong enough. I was a bit wary of using hacksaw blades or my alligator saw. Anyone got any fool proof tips? The current plan is to source some spare tiles before I have another go. Thanks.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Almost certainly you will have to re tile. Sometimes smashing the basin into small pieces and chipping them off works...sometimes :)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Use a proper bread knife from the kitchen.

Once sink is removed, remove other silicon from tiles with sharp, wide wood-chisel.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

My kitchen sink was siliconed in.. by me ....... went to remove it last month re a kitchen refit and it broke!   Some of that silicone is good stuff! She who must be obeyed wans't best pleased! She got a new sink though!