Basin Trap connection to Waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gazman1982, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

Hi All,

Just a quick one, looking for advice on connecting this Trap. Kids hanging out of the sink has loosened the connection and I can’t get it to line up properly anymore, it leaks when used, seems to be a little too short. Any bright ideas?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Try loosening the other white compression nut on the bend to help line things up.

Gazman1982 likes this.
  3. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

I’ll give it a try and hope it doesn’t leak. Cheers.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The waste pipe is not inserted into the trap !! What is the white stuff ,is that PTFE under the blue seal ?

5. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Has the black waste pipe moved and been pushed back through the wall?

6. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

There’s no PTFE tape anywhere. Don’t know how it hasn’t been leaking all this time.

7. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

Seems to be solid and can’t be moved. I’m baffled that it hadn’t been leaking all this time. In the house 8 years and only really looking at it now.

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

After looking more closely at your pic ,it's a trick of the light. What I thought was white is actually a gap and the wall behind showing thru !!!
    The pipe needs to be around an inch into the trap ,in the pic it doesn't even reach it. As dcox asked earlier ,has the pipe been pushed backward into the wall ,can it be pulled carefully into the trap ? If not the trap itself and possibly the basin must have moved considerably away from the pipe.

9. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

Yeah, that’s a gap, I can move the basin a little to make it more flush with the wall and the pipe will just about sit over the waste pipe, definitely not an inch though. The pedestal is cemented and surrounded by tiles so that hasn’t moved. It’s a strange one. I think I’ll have to remove the trap and see what I can do. What’s the best way to connect to the black waste pipe. Standard compression fitting with the right washers and some silicone? Or what would you suggest?

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The trap inlet is a compression fitting,with washer and nut ? Do you mean how best to extend the pipe ?
    Depends on what type of plastic the pipe is. If it can be solvent welded I would do that. If it is a push fit pipe then a push fit coupler.
    But please remove the trap and show us a pic. You may be able to replace the trap with one that fits .

Gazman1982 likes this.
  11. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

If I replace the trap wouldn’t I need to buy one that’s wider at the bottom or something so it would reach the waste pipe? I’ve seen the flexible traps, are they any use in this situation?

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

There are different measurements from one manufacturer to another's. Remove your trap and show us a pic for further advice . The Flexi traps would be a last resort ,in my opinion.

13. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

The black pipe needs to be extended so it butts up against the inside of the trap outlet; i.e. pushed in until it won’t go any further.

Best to cut it and join on a new piece of pipe, if you pull it to meet, you might be pulling another joint out of alignment.

If a push fit fitting won’t fit, you have solvent weld. Conversely a solvent weld will feel loose if you have push fit pipe. Neither fitting costs much even if you can’t return the one that’s wrong.

Also, may just be the picture, but the black pipe looks like it falls towards the trap. If you can, try and get a small level on it to check. It needs to have a fall away from the trap or at worst be level. If it doesn’t that will be compounding the leak problem.

Gazman1982 likes this.
  14. Gazman1982

Gazman1982 New Member

I didn’t get a chance to take the trap off but I think from advice I’ve gotten here the best thing to do would be to cut the pipe back a bit to give me the space to put a new piece of pipe with the right connections either side. The black pipe doesn’t move at all, think it’s cemented in.