Basin waste doesn't fit bottle trap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rosedani, May 21, 2020.

1. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Hi All,

I recently bought a basin unit online and it came with a press top waste and a bottle trap.

The thread on the waste is 40mm wide but the top of the bottle trap is too big to screw onto the waste thread. Have they supplied the wrong bottle trap or do I need to buy a separate connector to attach in-between the waste and the trap?

I've attached pics to make it easier to understand what I mean!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  3. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

4. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Cheers for the quick responses! Just ordered the coupler that Just Pumps recommended. The basin is only in a downstairs WC so won't be used as much as the basin in the main bathroom. I might change the waste in the main bathroom though because that's a pop-up model! Although saying that, we've had that installed for over 2 years now and haven't had any problems with it??

Thanks again.

5. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Hi All,

Just had the coupler delivered but I've got exactly the same problem? The coupler is too big for the waste thread? I thought it would start at the smaller size (to fit the waste) and increase in size for the bottle trap? This looks like it's the same size on both sides?

Is there a coupler that has the correct size for the waste one side and the correct size for the bottle trap on the other?

Thanks
    Dan

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Strange, does it work on the bottle trap? Think I`d be changing the waste now, to hell with it!

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Looks like you have a basin waste
    (1¹/⁴ inch) ,and a trap for a sink ( 1¹/² inch).

8. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Ah, OK... so they've supplied the wrong bottle trap? If I buy a 1¹/⁴ inch bottle trap will it still fit the 40mm waste pipe that I connect to the outlet on the trap?

9. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Sorry, it's 43mm Floplast pipe that I have as an existing set up.

10. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

A basin has 11/4 ( 32 mm) waste pipe.
    A sink has 11/2 in( 4O mm).
    A basin is used in bathrooms ,en suites
    etc. Sinks are for kitchens.
    Are we talking about the same thing here ,you are referring to a basin ???

11. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Yes it's a basin in a downstairs loo. The existing pipe work is all 40mm though so I think I need some kind of coupler that changes the basin waste from 32mm to 40mm to it can attach to the bottle trap. Or I'll have to change all the existing pipe work.

12. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Have you installed this pipework ?
    Only the correct size pipe will fit into trap outlet ,and yes you can then fit a reducer to couple the two pipe sizes together.

13. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

No I didn't install the pipework it's all existing. I'm just replacing the basin and toilet around the existing pipework. Just looked at the old basin and it has a brass coupler attached to the waste that looks like its 32mm one side and 40mm the other side (looks like the original installer had the same issue!). Is there a similar coupler I can buy that does the same trick? I can't re-use the brass coupler because it has been glued to the old basin.

14. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Can you post a pic of the set up near trap and brass coupler ?

15. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

No probs... Here's the pic...

Attached Files:

16. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

That's looks like a bit of a bodge job.
    You will need a section of 1¹/⁴ inch pipe to go into the traps outlet. And then introduce a reducing coupler.
    Depending on what the existing waste
    pipework set up is ,there are different options to achieve this. If your pipe work is solvent welded ,this would enable neat ,less bulky fitting / reducer to be used.
    More pics of the pipework !!!

17. Rosedani

Rosedani New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses on this... spoke to a plumber that lives down the road from me and he had a coupler on his van that did the trick! Basically a plastic version of the brass coupler that was on the old basin. Worked a treat and meant I didn't have to buy new pipe work to replace the existing pipes!

Joe the Plumber likes this.