basin waste install plumbers mate vs silicone

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Hi all

do you recommend to use plumbers mate vs silicone for the install of a bathroom waste. i've got a sprung slotted wasted.

if you do recommend the plumbers mate do i need to buy extra / different washers

thanks

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

I throw away the washer that goes under the chrome flange and use a sausage of plumbers Mait under there, then under the basin squeeze silicone into the gap between the waste and the basin and use the supplied washer. If access is difficult underneath I have used the basin mate washers with success.

Movieman334 likes this.
  3. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Thanks a lot guys also another question do I need to use PTFE tape when I connect the the flexi pipe from the tap to A cut off Vale 15mm or quarter inch .

I think they are flat faced the shut off valve hut not sure .

Then i have 15mm copper running from the isolation valve .

4. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Thanks brother I have have used the basin mate I let's see how that goes I also saw the plumbers putty method as well and that looks good it's unbelievable that they don't supply the proper fixings

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No need for tape on the threads of the shut off/isolation valve - does nothing useful, often shows as peeps wrap it past where the nut sits and just looks an eyesore (if on show)

The rubber washer in the flexi will perform the sealing task - if water is getting past the washer, then things ain’t right and a few wraps of PTFE can’t be relied upon to hold back the flood gates :eek:

Flat faced iso valves are important yes (but not as widely available as the tapered type) to ensure a good seal against washer, whilst not damaging the rubber

If not flat faced, then look at adding ‘tap tail adaptors’ to iso valves, then screw flexis onto these

Generally, PTFE isn’t needed on compression type fittings as either the washer or olive creates the seal

6. Tilt

Tilt Active Member

I will admit I have fitted lots of flexi tails directly to standard isolators and unaware of any issues.

And I mean hundreds, and I would have been called to remedy if there had have been issues.

Just don't over tighten them. Nicely hand tight is usually just right.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Silicone all day long. Bead under waste to basin. Big bead underneath, screw up washer and nut. All good. Use clear silicon and carefully clean up any that has ‘squashed’ out.

Movieman334 likes this.
  8. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

https://www.screwfix.com/p/isolating-valve-with-handle-15mm/89226 this is the one I've got , if I left it to the plumbers they would never fit it :(

Ok glad to hearnit and thanks for your advice

9. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Thanks for your advice much appreciated

10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

When it leaks, come back & ask again. :(

11. techie

techie Active Member

Plumbers mait between waste and porcelain at the top. Silicon of whatever brand will eventually go black and will be visible. You don't need to wait for it to go off either before water passes through.

12. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Well I'm gonna try it with basin main only, then if it leaks then I'll add the plumbers putty . I like like the idea of being able.to test it straight away Nd also being able to easily access and rectify it anything wong

Eg I know silicone is a pain to remove a few years

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Fernox LS-X is a clear silicone that is often recommended for this application.