Bath ledge & Shower Tray Sealent

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bond007, Jun 24, 2013.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

When putting in a new bathroom suite - i.e, shower. bath etc.

Which is the best sealent in the market to put around shower tray and bath ledge, Sink to make it as much water tight as possible.

Better off going with silicone or like seal trims?

Thanks

2. bond007

Any takers on this yet??

Just wana make sure the bath is fitted water tight when installing a new one

3. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Spend a couple of extra quid on the silicone you choose and go for Dow Corning 785, nice and smooth to use and the pros recommend this all the time

Dow Corning 785+ Bacteria Resistant Sanitary Silicone White 310ml

Of course, its not just a case of buying the best sealant, which is what you have asked
    Its equally important how the bath and shower tray is fitted, how the tiles are fixed, wall preparation, how you apply the silicone and other issues as well
    Each of the above stages need to be correct so as to work together and provide a watertight system

Is this a total rip out and fit ?

Will you be tiling the walls around the bath and shower or just simply replacing the bathroom suite

4. bond007

Hi
    Ye its a total rip out and re fit or new one
    No am tiling around the bath.
    Also full tiling the En suite too.

Is there any strip or anything i can put around the batroom and showertray before actually fitting it?

Any good methods a can reconmend my fitter. ( most he should know anyway i hope)...lol

5. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

6. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Have a search through the site as quite a lot of info on this subject

Main points I would say are;
    • Use good quality, powdered tile adhesive and grout, not ready mixed with an "own brand" on it. If you use a tub adhesive go for something like BALGreenstar
    • Are any walls around bath or shower built with plaster board - either stud wall or dot/dab onto brick ?
            If yes then is recommended to rip out PB and replace with cement / tile backer board

• Fit bath and shower tray first then tile down to bath / shower tray. As your putting bath and shower tray into position, pump plenty of silicone into gap between bath/tray and wall, push into position and remove excess
    • Once fixed in position, no movement of bath or shower tray
    • Dont grout gap between bath / tray and 1st tile but fill with a bead of silicone, level with tile face and allow to cure
    • After tiling is completed and grouted, then silicone all edges, make sure tiles are super clean before you start this with no grout/adhesive residue or dust
    Probably more details as well but anyway, this is all being done by your bathroom fitter yes ??

7. bond007

Hi
    Yes a bathroom fitter is going to be doing it. will be in for a suprise when i take this print to him...:)

so as much useful and handy tips i can takeaway the better

is there and seal or stip like can wedge in between the wall or anything.

whats next best thing to silicone to try and make it watertight

i do have plaster board around the bath shower, but really didnt want to take them out due to costing

thanks

8. bond007

Which powdered tile adhesive and grout would you reconmend.?

9. bond007

Any had any dealings with products from this cmpany: http://www.sealux.com/

Claim to have proven material to prevent bathroom leaks

10. bond007

anyone can answer above ??

11. bond007

is mapei grouting any good ?

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its not the product that matters, its the person appling it,the makers will always say,"it was't put on right", thats theit get out,;)

13. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I woud go for a seal strip fitted behind the tiles prior to tiling.
    After having many problems with silicon seals spliting this is now my recomendation.
    Even if the bath is ill fitted you should get away without any leaks with a plastic seal strip in place.
    This is the only thing that I look for - some baths have a raised edge on them so if you have one of these you need a profiled strip wereas if the bath as a flat edge go for a flat strip.
    Tappy,

[​IMG]

14. Well excuse me, I couldn't disagree more. Those sealing strips are very eightees, they look naff and they discolour with age. As long as you follow the siliconing suggstions above and you make sure you leave at least 3mm between the tiles and the bath or shower tray for a good bead of silicon you won't have any probs. |Also when the silicon gets black stains on it, which it will, you can cut it out and replace it.

15. Crowsfoot

Ten years ago I would have agreed with you "NoOhmy".

However, I have recently been to far too many leaks through ceilings due to the sealant coming away from the bath edge that I now always use the strip method when fitting baths.
    These modern strips won't discolour, make a very tidy job,need no maintenance and  will last as long as the bath does.

Tappy,

16. bond007

HI
    when can I get one of them strips what's showing on that picture please?

thanks

17. gsmann

gsmann New Member

i always put clear silicon around the edge of the bath before it is tiled, then sealant after the tiling has been conpleted.with some baths you should fix a batten along the wall to support the edge of the bath.

18. Don't do it 007. Your licence to kill will become a licence to leak. They are minging 'orrible things. Due respect to Crowsfoot, he has his way and I have mine, but by sealing the bath/shower to the wall and then the bath/tray to the tiles I have never had a problem (tempting fate and all that).

19. Crowsfoot

Any builders merchant or DIY outlet should be able to set you up doubleoy.
    The one in the picture is a B&Q budget product and tops for baths with a flat edge.
    Whilst Wickes budget trim has a profiled edge more suitable for baths with a raised edge.
    Try the tile shops they are generally pretty good in their trim selection.

P.S. I've just this week put right a leaky mastic job by chopping off the first row of tiles and fitting a trim behind before re-tiling.

Tappy,

20. Bob_Evans

Bob_Evans New Member

The real problem is pretty near all baths and shower trays are plastic and no matter how well fitted you will get some movement and eventually this breaks the seal. Whether a sealing strip perhaps over sealed with some silicone will work better than just silicone who knows. The quality of the sealant will play a part but no matter how good the seal will eventually go