Bath P bend

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Blue488, Jul 26, 2021.

?

Should I put in a p bend?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Blue488

Blue488 New Member

Hi wanted a bit of advice.

I thought all waste pipes needed some type of trap U bend, P bend, S bend etc.. I pulled off the bath panel and noticed that my bath has not got one? The pipe from the bath goes into a hopper outside, where as the shower, sink and toilet all have traps and go into the soil pipe. The properties on the street are old (around 120 years) and the street doesn't have separate rain water and waste water drainage. I've never had any smells or issues with the bath but should there be a trap?

2. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

If you were installing new pipework then yes.

However, if all is well and there is no reason to disturb anything I would be inclined to leave it as it is.

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

The traps holds water to stop smells from a soil pipe entering the room, yours has an outside hopper (air break) so no trap required.

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Active Member

My fathers plumbing on his 100 year old house is similar, hopper externally, no trap on the bath waste. No smells, but when the wash hand basin is emptied is sound of running water is held quite distinctly from the bath plughole.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

If worried you could always fit a Wavin/Osma Hepv0 https://hepvo.com/ in line with a membrane and waterless.

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

As said above will be fine without trap, if u ever do any work on it, fit a standard bath trap then if u wish

7. Blue488

Blue488 New Member

Thank you I will leave it as is