Bath tap access

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by John K McGregor, Jul 10, 2018.

  1. John K McGregor

    John K McGregor New Member

    Hi I need to replace my bath taps, long story. So I have bought new ceramic taps which will replace the old washer type taps on my existing bath.The bath is in a corner tight up against both walls. The taps are on the short side. After taking the tongue and groove panels off of the long side of the bath, the question I have is how do I unscrew the taps from underneath with the gap between them and the wall so narrow. I fear I might get the old taps off eventually but not be able to tighten up the new ones enough. Any helpful suggestions would be grateful. Ps this is my first time on any forum.
  2. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Well-Known Member

    Often limited access to bath taps John but, these wrenches are made for the job
    Don't always need top brands like Rothenberger, you aint gonna be using these every day I presume ?

    Good luck with the tap change

    these are great for removing the nut on the pipe;

    this is great for removing back nut;

    Get some light under the bath and urself into a comfy position then choose ur weapon of choice !
  3. John K McGregor

    John K McGregor New Member

    Thanks Dave, these muckle great hands and the old knees, this is going to test my command of the English language
  4. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    Get an older plumber in to do the job, trust me.
    I can replace bath taps with little bother, (if there isn’t a built in vanity unit tight to bath).
    All in copper pipe and no flexi or plastic plumbing.
    But 40 years experience and also was taught some very sensible plumbing methods from my late father.
  5. John K McGregor

    John K McGregor New Member

    Thanks Heat. You are right nothing beats years of experience. As a photographer of 40 years, I’m beginning to think that I should have chosen a different career, plumber, electrician, roofer, builder etc etc or I could be in the position of affording someone to do it alas I can’t. In your nugget of info would you be suggesting that I do it in copper and not flexi things. I noticed that the screw bit on the end of my new taps seems very large, must be 25mm or so that’s big is it not? Anyway Thursday is the day, if you hear a scream from Edinburgh followed by oathes as only a Scotsman can do, I’ll be back on this forum.
  6. Heat

    Heat Well-Known Member

    Your bath taps are 3/4 inch thread and you can buy flexies to suit directly onto that.
    Or you can get 3/4” to 22mm tap fittings (also 3/4” to 15mm available). Speedfit plastic fittings you might want to use in the above.
    Hopefully save yourself some money.
    I know you Scots are a tight lot. ;)

Share This Page