Bath taps loose?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tomrat, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Tomrat

Tomrat New Member

Are my bath taps loose. They wobble a bit when you apply slight pressure to them. They are not making any rattling noises though or coming away just move around a bit when moving them. Could it be the type of basin they are fitted on does something need tightening??

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Bath or basin taps ? You mention both but either way, yes, if they're moving then tightening from underneath is the solution

If you’ve got separate hot and cold taps, then each tap will simply have a large nut underneath it that tightens on the threaded tap tail and clamps to underneath of bath/basin. Probably a washer there as well, the nut may either be plastic or metal

All depends on access really and having the tools for the job. A basin wrench will get into tight spaces and several variations available

If it’s a ‘monoblock’ type tap, then different fixing method but essentially tightening up a smaller nut

Post a picture if your stuck for ideas

Tomrat likes this.
  3. Tomrat

Tomrat New Member

4. Tomrat

Tomrat New Member

Please see attachment

Attached Files:

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hopefully you will have access under the bath with a removable bath panel ?

If so, remove panel, get some light under there and take a lie down (under the bath obviously:))

You will see the threaded tails from the taps and the securing nut
    Access is always tricky under a bath so you need to get into a good working position and armed with the right tools

As taps are piped up, a box spanner is out, so next best bet is a basin wrench, various types available but something like this. Don't need to spend top dollar or go top of the range, you're not using this every day I would guess;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wrench-11/14631#_=p

Once you've worked out how to use this cleverly designed piece of kit, and the right way to turn it, check to see if indeed the securing nuts are loose, may be a simple job
    Nuts can be either metal (best) or commonly plastic. The plastic nuts can be over tightened and wrecked or I've seen the nut crack, rendering it useless

Could also be some flex in the bath if its acrylic type ?
    Usually some wood is embedded in underneath of bath during construction to give tap fixing some extra support

My last bath the taps still wobbled a little so added extra plywood underneath, drilled out to take tap tails and gave some additional support

Your nuts may simply need nipping up a tad ... good luck