Bath trap & electrical cables

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danny32, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Danny32

Danny32 Active Member

Hi
    Just contemplating the orientation of a bath installation. The original cast iron one was positioned with taps at opposite end to the shower.
    This was ok and has a more direct route to the internal soil stack.
    Have been considering turning the new one around as the electric shower is on the left wall in n the pic.

Thing is that the waste trap, if going below the subfloor surface would be directly over electrical cables (pic left).
    I would need to get the waste pipe up high as possible due to a longer route to the soil pipe.
    Maybe best to keep the bath drain where the original was.
    The waste and supply pipes are on the right in the pic. The long copper pipe is the shower supply.

The new bath has a slight slope so then the higher end would be under the shower.
    Any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk Member

Plastic pipework in the vicinity of the cables is not a problem as long as you do not need to alter, cut or stress the cables - if you can fit the trap in without damaging the cables its OK. You cannot join the cables under the floor so do not cut them.

Danny32 likes this.
  3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

not heard that you cannot join cables under the floor. Why is that?

4. Jim Kirk

Jim Kirk Member

1/ Regs state that all joint must be readily accessible or maintenance free joints. Under the floor under the bath is not readiliy accessible. Crimped or push in non-retract terminals only.

2/ At the moment cables are waterproof and will not be affected by any drain leak - a drain leak above a joint box is asking for trouble

Danny32 likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I still don’t understand the reg that says you cannot join cables under the floor. You’ve now said you can??!

6. Danny32

Danny32 Active Member

Thanks.
    Just wasn’t sure. I have the new bath so I’ll fix on the legs and check how much clearance there is.