Bathroom Boiler Fuse Spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Josh Pollard, May 17, 2021.

1. Josh Pollard

Josh Pollard New Member

Are these fuse spurs okay for use in a bathroom?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know if that's to do with their type, or their position relating to the sink?

Had a quote for a bathroom refit the other day and the guy mentioned in passing that he wasn't sure if the current fuse spurs are up to regulation for use in a bathroom. Not going with him anymore and opting for a more DIY approach (not on any electrics mind) and wondered if I need to get someone in to sort this out.

Also apologies if any terminology is incorrect.

Cheers

2. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Do you know what the fuse spur is powering? If you don't want it there then its an easy fix to remove for a competent person. Ideally that boiler wiring would be in an enclosure (Boxed in).

3. Josh Pollard

Josh Pollard New Member

The one right next to the boiler powers the boiler.

I had always assumed the left one powered a socket in the bedroom next door, but now i've checked, turning it off actually doesn't affect the socket. The only wires I can see for it run in the trunking pictured to the other fuse spur, and a wire pops out on the other side of the wall and runs in some trunking to a socket. Anything obvious that would need powering in the bathroom that i'm forgetting about?

In terms of the fuse spurs themselves though are they okay for use in a bathroom?

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Apart from the fcu that powers the boiler there shouldn't be any socket in the bathroom unless it is a waterproof one.

5. Josh Pollard

Josh Pollard New Member

Just been informed by my girlfriend that there was a washing machine where the left hand FCU was when we moved in, so that explains what that was powering. I will get that removed.

That's okay, there is only the other FCU which I will get removed, is the FCU for the boiler that is currently installed okay? Or is there a waterproof FCU that should be used for the boiler because its in a bathroom?

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Unless you are planning to jetwash the walls then just leave the boiler FCU as it is outside the zones. Just make sure that there are no signs of water damage and all circuits are RCD protected.

7. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

As stated above, leave the boiler fcu and just remove the fcu near the sink, nice easy fix. If you do this yourself ensure the power is completely isolated. If you need help removing it just ask and we can help.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It looks like the FCU is providing power to the Salus receiver (the white box to the right of the FCU) and probably also to the boiler.
    Turn it off and see which lights go out.