Bathroom downlights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Taz9126, May 7, 2023.

1. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Hi,
    I'm getting rid of the single centre light for downlights .
    I'm looking at 8 in total so I can try and have some sort of pattern .
    I was going 400 in from the corners then pi king up a centre line as in the quick sketch .
    Do we think that will be ok ? Or is there too many ?
    I just don't want it to be dark over the shower so included 2 .
    Any ideas or info much appreciated
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Personally i’d go with Scolmore’s Ovia range over the Luceco. But I’ve not had any complaints on the few Luceco i have fitted.

The instructions should give spacing data but are typically lacking. The rule of thumb is a grid separation of half the ceiling height with min 600 from walls. So your estimate of 8 is too many.

I would have 3 or 4. Start with an evenly spaced square/rectangle. Then push individual lights into areas that need it (sink, shower etc) It won’t make a nice even pattern on the ceiling but you’ll achieve better task lighting.

Davie and Taz9126 like this.
  3. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Thanks , the idea of only 400 from the corners was because the shower tray is 800 mm wide so I was hoping to put the lights centrally as I thought it would look neater being in the centre of the tray ?

4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Fit lights that take gu 10 lamps. When the integrated lamp fails you will need to change the fitting, rather than just the lamp.

Bazza, Taz9126 and WH55 like this.
  5. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

I've had a measure and a jig around and come up with the 2 sketches .
    Using yr advice of 600 in from walls etc.
    I've gone for one in the middle in the shower .
    Wots yr thoughts ??
    I'm thinking using the 4 in the main area should be OK as atm it's just one central light which seems fine
    Tia

Attached Files:

6. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

I did one very close to this size recently, and there’s plenty of light with 5 downlights. So your design looks good to me. In fairness, the cool white always feels brighter.

Taz9126 likes this.
  7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Looks great, five is going to be far better than the original 8 design. Keeping the 4 in the middle is going to make it look aesthetically right and give a more even light across the room.

Consider lights which you can select (and later change) between warm/cool/day white.

Taz9126 likes this.
  8. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Thanks for the input and opinions guys , I feel alot happier with the last layouts now :)

9. Adam Routley

Adam Routley Active Member

How big is your bathroom? 2.2m x 3.1m and I have 3 spots. 1 as you enter, which also illuminates the shower. 1 over the basin and WC and 1 over the bath. It's super bright, using the JCC NG spots.

Taz9126 likes this.
  10. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Hi , its 3.2 x 2.5
    Was putting one in the middle iof the shower and then 4 in main bit , as wanting to keep some sort of pattern to it or my ocd will kick in lol

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I agree, want lighting to be evenly spread across the room to avoid shadows and dark corners whilst following some kind of pattern and symmetry

But ,,,,, need to ID where ceiling joists run as this can throw your plans out significantly - either several lights or equally annoying, just 1 light

What’s access like above ceiling with regards to joists and running cables ?

Taz9126 likes this.
  12. Davie

Davie Active Member

Some cool colours are not very flattering to skin tones. If you have a mirror in the bathroom then you might not want to catch sight of yourself as you step out of the shower. If you have a wife she may have an input to deciding on colour temperature!

13. Davie

Davie Active Member

You can get downlight/extractor fan combinations to go over a shower

Taz9126 likes this.
  14. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

I let clients choose the colour, mate. But you’re right - generally the wife wants a say on that.

15. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Another advantage of using gu10 fittings. You can put in whatever colour and wattage of lamps and change them if you want.

WH55 likes this.
  16. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Or fit a selectable all in one?

17. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Then have the job of changing the full fitting when it goes, not just a lamp.

18. Taz9126

Taz9126 Member

Access is great as it's in the loft :)

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Superb / also easy then to mark out joists on ceiling and plan the layout - happy days ;)

Taz9126 likes this.
  20. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

GX53 then you can change lamp, and does not matter were the beams are so much as surface mounted. Personally use pods so can aim where wanted and again no problem with beams. Other option is lighting track then you can add as required.