Bathroom Extractor with Timer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Eney, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Eney

Eney Member

I am replacing Vent Axia ACM 100T extractor fan.

The old one was removed and the new one connected. Previously no 3 pole isolator nor fuse

3 pole isolator installed,

L1 Permanent Live
    L2 Switched Live
    L3 Neutral

Is this correct?

Secondly.

Do I put a fused unit on the Permanent Live and another one on the Switched Live?

Thanks for reading

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

the fan instructions should detail the fuse requirements. What breaker is serving the circuit to which it is connected?

Eney likes this.
  3. Eney

Eney Member

The fan instructions "The fan motor is fitted with Thermal Overload Protection. This is a one-shot thermal fuse. In the event of a fault condition the fan will be automatically switched off"

Breaker is MCB B6

4. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Note earths are omitted in diagram for clarity. Remember to connect all necessary earthing.

Attached Files:

Eney likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The instructions do not show a fused unit. Why do you think you need one or (even) two?

You say that
    So the introduction of fused units would be pointless.

Eney likes this.
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I recently had a timer circuit fail but the (pricey TD-Silent 250) fan itself still runs fine. So I wired the fan to a £4 GRT8-M1 relay timer.

Afterwards it occurred to me that I could have bought a 4-way enclosure and used a 1A 3-pole MCB instead of the usual unfused fan isolator alongside the timer. Just seems like a better idea to me.

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

£4????

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That’s real quality.