Bathroom fan isolator switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYDave., Nov 15, 2013.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    My sister has just had her bathroom gutted and refitted by a local firm, generally a really nice job but just a couple of minor niggles to sort out
    An extractor fan was fitted as part of the job and the electrician has fitted a pull cord fan isolator switch in the bathroom. This means that there is 3 pull cord switches hanging from the ceiling which looks really messy - fan isolator / shower isolator / lights
    I know that they could have fitted a light switch outside the bathroom to get rid of one pull cord but surely would have been neater to fit a regular isolator switch either in bathroom (outside of zones) or just outside bathroom door
    Part of the job was a new ceiling so access for wiring was pretty easy
    My sister asked the firm if they could fit a switch isolator but was told "no switches in bathroom"

I've seen plenty of bathrooms with fan isolator switches fitted, usually high up next to fan or above door and out of zones

Is she being fobbed off here ? I think so and would you guys fit a pull cord isolator, resulting in 3 pull cords

It does look silly in an otherwise nice job

Thanks for any input on this

2. Looks like to me that it was done by a lazy electrician who has no pride in his work.If the bathroom was gutted the walls could have been chased inside and boxes cut outside with no damage.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Sounds like they opted for the easiest option whilst the ceiling was down by fitting three pull-cords.
    As you say, shame if the rest of the job is good.

I agree.

4. harmonic

harmonic Member

5. harmonic

harmonic Member

In defence of the electrician there has been some confusion here
    First of all is it a run on fan that has been installed if it was then the sparky should have fitted an isolater for isolating live feed to fan run on facility out of zone areas
    And this switch will be a double pole and the other side will isolate the fan when the switch for light is operated by breaking the feed from light to fan,this giveing full isolation
    Then permutations take place some people do not like the fan on every time they enter the bathroom as at night they can disturbe people and want an isolation switch
    Is this the case!!!!
    In saying this there are electricians that will say the fan permanent feed can be isolated from consumer unit circuit breaker and feed for switched live to fan should be covered by this for maintanence
    Lots of permutations on this one but to do the job in my opinion would entail a bit of wiring via an isolator as my first statement and careful thought for isolator switch for not useing fan when light comes on as you will forget to put on also you may not put light on!!!! And just want fan on

6. harmonic

harmonic Member

Also not to confuse things manufactures instructions are to be followed which usually states a 3 amp fuse and double pole isolation apart from the issue it would be interesting what other electricians do and to know what the full story is of the electrician /customer including what the switch isolates switched live feed or permanent supply if run on timer in both cases the fan will not run unless the fan has a link put in beetween switched live and permanent feed
    In any case not sure on this but a run on timer fan should have been installed
    If no opening window not sure on regulation on this one

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Re the fuse issue which is often a concern I have started using Greenwood fans which state in their instructions that a 3 amp fuse is not required if being fed from a 6 amp lighting circuit.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi and thanks for all the input so far
    To pick up on a few points raised;

Walls were dot, dabbed and plaster boarded before tiling so even chasing out walls for cables was not needed

Fan does have an over run timer and the pull cord switch is a 3 pole isolator made for fans (even has a fan motif stamped on it) so not an issue there regarding full 3 pole isolation

Have read this issue before regarding M I and fan protection via 3A fuse. No sign of this and as I'm sure is pretty usual, the supply has been taken from the lighting circuit and so protected with a 6A breaker at CU
    This issue has been discussed loads on this forum, I see Seneca's post above regarding this but would bet that more often than not, a 3A fused spur is not used

So just to clarify for me please, a switched 3 pole isolator can be fitted in the bathroom, provided that it is out of zones 1 & 2
    I may take the issue up with the bathroom firm on behalf of my sister, just wanted to make sure that I have the correct facts
    I mean all that money paid.....A nice looking bathroom.......But 3 pull cords.....Really stupid !

Many thanks as always

9. daver34

daver34 Member

Is the fan isolator pull switch only there for maintenance use or is it used to operate fan everyday?, if maintenance use, change it for three pole isolator switch(no pull cord) if outside zones.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi daver
    Yes the pull cord is for maintenance only, ie. local isolation

Not that easy to change over for a switch now that bathroom has been tiled and finished
    Pull cord has been sited right next to shower, so zone 2, ok for a pull cord but not for a switch (not sure if ceiling height is over 2.25m as ceiling was lowered)

My sister has paid up in full so doubt if the firm will be that interested in sorting this one out now

11. FatHands

Quite possibly Dave, but you never know. Another happy customer is another recommendation. Post back with what they say.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If one is just for maintenance isolation just leave a very short cord attached. :)

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

My shower pull cord is only a foot long...

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah not a bad idea about shortening the pull cord
    Still my point is this still leaves 3 pull cord switches hanging from ceiling, in a small -ish bathroom, completely gutted and refitted, just think this lets down the overall finish
    Had a switched isolator been fitted flush to the wall, the cosmetic look of the room would have been improved. As I mentioned the routing of cables would have been so simple as a new ceiling went in and all walls were dot and dabed

The firm did have several trades on site during the refit, ie plumber, tiler, spark. Maybe too little communication between trades or overal planning at the start of the job so that the spark would have done 1st fix before the plaster board went up
    Overal my sister is happy with the job, just a couple of small niggles but unfortunately that is all too common these days when you have work done ( no offence ment to all the good guys on the forum)
    Thanks again

15. Lectrician

Just because the walls in the bathroom were all boarded doesnt mean placing switches outside would be possible. Cable zoning would have to be complied with.

It's impossible to say how easy it would be without seeing a job.

Incidentally, I did a new build recently, and the customer whined at me because the switch was on the wall, not the ceiling!

FatHands likes this.
  16. FatHands

Good point Lec!

17. daver34

daver34 Member

Ceiling was lowered, fan iso switch could have been installed outside bathroom, electrician to lazy to do extra work.

18. Lectrician

Assuming stud walls, I would agree. Without seeing, we can only take your word for it though :)

19. daver34

daver34 Member

Electrician cannot cut out box in brick?.

20. Lectrician

CABLE ZONE? Are you saying drop cable down inside bathroom wall, through to chopped in box? Again, CABLE ZONE?

Cable zones can be combatted in several ways, but dropping T+E down behind dry lining in one room, and drilling through to a flush box the other? Completely non compliant.

Could the wall the other side be plastered if required? I can chop a box neatly into most walls without leaving a mark, but ALWAYS advise customer that there is a chance that some plastering may be required.