Bathroom floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by BaldyMatt1976, May 30, 2023.

1. BaldyMatt1976

BaldyMatt1976 New Member

Hello all.
    So i have a bathroom floor with some rotten t&g floorbords,(already removed) and some that have been savaged by the electrician. The floor is to be tiled so im looking for the best solution. Do i rip up the whole floor and use 18mm ply ast the base for the tiles, do i get replacement floorboards and overlay with a thinner ply or none of the above. If i am to use ply, what is the best to use. Exterior etc??? Thanks in advance

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Provided the joists are at 400mm/16” centres, rip it up is best and lay 18mm hardwood faced ply, try and get it in one piece but if not fix noggins between the joists to support the joins.

BaldyMatt1976 likes this.
  3. Mark DM

Mark DM Super Member

I would go with WBP or marine ply 18mm as mentioned and screw it down well.

BaldyMatt1976 likes this.
  4. BaldyMatt1976

BaldyMatt1976 New Member

I keep seeing wbp mentioned on other places. What is it and where should I get it from?

5. Mark DM

Mark DM Super Member

Water and boil proof, pretty water resistant but not as good as marine. Most timber merchants will stock it. Regards

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It’s a water resistant plywood (weather and boil proof) can get it from most Builders Merchants or sheds, though they may not call it that.