Bathroom leak rotten floorboard section

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Michaelsf90, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

We have recently stripped out our bathroom and installed everything new. I had a plumber do the plumbing work and I've done everything else. Tiling. Flooring. Battened and overboarded ceiling. Just need to clad the ceiling

At the back of the bath there is a gap between the end and the wall that was a tiled section. I'm making a tile step/shelf so it's raised above the bath. Previously it went under the lip of the bath and when stripping out it was obvious it had leaked. Directly underneath the floorboard was rotten. Now I'm concerned about the joist

I can still access the back as I haven't done the tile shelf or installed the bath panel. My plan is to remove the rotten floorboard even tho its only damaged and brittle on the edge. The joist is a 7 or 8 x 3. It's a 1930s house so very thick joists. It feels brittle on the very top. Should I use something like a screwdriver to test how brittle it is? It's right near the wall as well. Il take pictures tomorrow. The floorboard is only damaged on the exposed edge. But if I remove it I can properly assess the joist. Should I treat the joist with some triple action preserver/ anti dry rot? It seems as tho its superficial damage on the very top

2. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

You sound like my boss .......... Lol.

Kreg92 likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

sure it’s fine. Put a bit of treatment on ‘if it helps’

4. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Don’t be afraid to poke away at the joist to see if it’s soft and crumbling away. It’s a bit late once the new bath has been installed to be working this out, but if it’s 90% solid, a liberal dose of five star wood treatment will be ok..
    If you start finding rot a few inches down into the joist, it’s time to take the bath out or expose the ceiling underneath and deal with the problem.

5. Michaelsf90

Michaelsf90 Member

I had a poke last night. I plan to cut the floorboard half way along the joist to assess the damage. The joint is 7 x just over 2 and a half inch. It seems the damage and brittleness is about 5mm down but I need to get the floorboard out that I can and assess properly. My only other option is to plant a 6 x 2 to the side of it in the small section of flooring I'm opening up and plant one from the joist to the next joist away from the bath. Il try to open it up tonight and take some more pictures