Bathroom light flickers due to humidity

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scouse30, May 25, 2019.

1. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Hi, We have a very old house, the bathroom does not have an extractor fan. When someone has a bath/shower the light flickers or goes out then comes back on again. The problem must be due to humidity as it's ok normally. Is there anything I can do for now until I get an extractor fan fitted at sometime?

Attached Files:

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I would suggest checking you have RCD protection (in your consumer unit) and getting someone round - bathroom really is not the place to be messing about with this kind of thing.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That looks like an LED lamp in that fitting?
    I guess that it is operated by a standard light switch (ie not a dimmer)

If so, it is possible that the lamp contacts are either dirty or not making contact with the lamp properly. Then when there's some damp, the contact gets worse, and the light goes out.

What sort of base does the lamp have? Bayonet, GU10, E27 etc..... post a picky if you aren't sure.

There may be other reasons for this, but lets check the above first..

4. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Ok I'll check to see. I have not changed the bulb since moving in 3 years ago.

5. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

I've checked the Led bulb, it has a screw thread. The contacts in the lamp fitting look ok no corrosion.

Attached Files:

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The screw thread holders have a problem sometimes with the centre contact.
    Power off!
    Using insulated long nosed pliers, bend the centre contact up a bit to ensure it is making good contact with the lamp.

7. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Thanks will try this.

8. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

Fixed the flickering problem, it was due to a wire not pushed into the connector far enough so that the bear wire was not showing. Thanks Bazza.