Bathroom light/heater

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sysparks, Sep 4, 2009.

1. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Customer needs a new one of these fitting. But not sure if they are suitable for zone 2?

Any help appreciated, as i normally get asked to strip these out, not replace them.

2. ohm sweet ohm

ohm sweet ohm New Member

i didn't know you could still get them, they are a kickback to the 70's!!

ps. i was only a child then!!!!

3. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi mate,
    Its a no from me, anything in zone 2 should be IP45 minimum and on RCD.

14th

4. Got a low ceiling then?

5. sysparks

sysparks New Member

14th, thats a bit over the top isnt it?

Its IPX4 for zone 2, and for like for like swop, no need to RCD

6. wally2

wally2 New Member

Blimey, thought they had pensioned them off years ago.

7. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Whats the IP rating of this heater? I am not sure about the like for like thing, I know its a general principal but whose door are they going to knock on if there was a problem?

14th

8. wally2

wally2 New Member

Seems strange really, they used to indicate they could be wired off the lighting circuit (thats what the leaflet used to say, never fitted one myself). But we would have got shot to pieces if we had put a 750 w infra red heater on the wall & wired it off the lights, never could make one out.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cripes those heaters bring back memories..actually they were pretty good.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

When you turned them on they made a sort of buzzing noise on initial fire up..often wondered why they buzzed..must be initial inrush stretching t'element or summit.

11. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Not sure of IP rating, think i might suggest having a seperate downflow heater wired up. As wally says its quite a heavy load for a lighting circuit.

12. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

If it's a like for like replacement, and it's what your customer has requested, just do it.

I doubt that your customer has had too many fatalities in the family over the years due to the position and type of heater.

Lucia.