Bathroom loo vent ok with 6A RCBO

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dnsmith, Sep 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

There is no such regulation as the one you are “referring” to, it’s a fallacy.

The issue that is the deciding factor in if or if not to fit a fan isolation switch is if there’s a window in the room, because if there isn’t a window then ideally whoever is cleaning the fan will want to leave the light on so that they can see what they are doing, which means in most cases the fan will be running.

The original poster asked a specific question, he asked for a recommendation for a fan than can be connected directly to the lighting circuit without additional fuses, the discussion went straight to “readily accessible local isolation” which wasn’t what the question was about and it turned the discussion into an expression of opinions rather than the actual requirements of BS7671:2018 and the opinions are wrong.

https://napitweb.azureedge.net/member-downloads/CP 3 07 P 9-10 16th Timer Fan Isolation.pdf

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I can assure there is, your not looking hard enough. It's also often overlooked and I would say most sparks are not aware of it and by and large it is conveniently ignored. I don't really give a monkeys what napit, elastica or smashie and nicey have to say about it, they don't write the regs.

spannerw likes this.
  3. The Happy Builder

@Coloumb Please tell us which regulation it is that requires “readily accessible” local isolation for a domestic extractor fan and the circuit breaker cannot be used or graciously admit you have got it wrong.

4. Dnsmith

Dnsmith Member

Thanks will check up on this

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Please go and look up the regulation then you can come back here and tell everyone you are wrong. This obviously is going to involve you do a bit of the "W" word but I'm afraid that can't be helped. As I said before, you proport to be an electrical "professional" so surly looking up a particular reg is going to be part and parcel of the services you are providing?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  6. The Happy Builder

@Coloumb

And if there isn’t a regulation how am I supposed to find it?

The ball is definitely 100% in your court and it’s your turn to get it back across the net, if you’re up to it.

7. Dnsmith

Dnsmith Member

Thank you i will look at this extactor fan

8. Dnsmith

Dnsmith Member

Sorry everyone i did not wish this to turn into a disrespectful slagging match.

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It is pretty tedious, boring and unnecessary but I feel it better you are given the correct information about 7671 rather than someone's opinion. This was given in post #2 and should not really resulted in a two page discourse.

10. The Happy Builder

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Indeed. But I'm still correct and you are not.

12. The Happy Builder

Nothing disrespectful, merely asking for a a supposedly statement of fact to be substantiated, which I don’t think can be done.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Why not have a look in the regs book, never know you might find the reg...

14. The Happy Builder

Sorry, reading the discussion again from the start I should have said @seneca answered the question as well.

15. The Happy Builder

Because?

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Because the reg (that you can't be bothered to find) says "switching off" as opposed to functional switching. One would presume for mechanical maintenance by unskilled persons.

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Could this be the one?

132.15 Isolation and switching
    132.15.201 Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut
    off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or
    remove danger.

132.15.202 Every fixed electric motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off, readily
    accessible, easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

^ Didn't this used to come up a lot with that BAS user?

19. Bazza-spark

Didn't really know much about him.

20. Bazza-spark

I don't know when that linked to document was written, but it refers to regs that don't exist in 18th Ed.