Bathroom paint - sealant?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Titaniumpixel, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Titaniumpixel

Titaniumpixel New Member

I'm currently getting quotes for my bathroom to be repainted. It's poorly ventilated (no window and a very poor extractor fan) one decorator said that they would use a bathroom paint and then also put a sealant over the top of it too. I've never heard of this, and no other decorator who's come to take a look has mentioned this either, only the bathroom paint. Is the sealant over the top a thing?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'd use glixtone paint. Brewers sell. There is a clear coat that can be applied over paint but I've not used. Just use bathroom paint. Imo

3. Magjul

Magjul Member

I'd fit a better extract fan first.........

4. Titaniumpixel

Titaniumpixel New Member

I'm renting and my landlord won't

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If there's mould build up in the bathroom due to poor ventilation I think the landlord has a duty of care to provide safe accommodation.

There certain standards that need to be met if the room only provides a certain air flow change per hour?

6. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

May also be worth looking at Zinsser Perma-white. Its meant to be good for high moisture areas. I used it yesterday on kitchen (rental property). Not sure how well it performs though as its first time. It only comes in white Matt or Satin finish. I think you can add a tint though for colour.

The satin finish can be scrubbed clean

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinsser-Pe...39&sprefix=zinnser+perm,gift-cards,160&sr=8-3

Not sure if its sold be Screwfix. I bought from Toolstation