Bathroom tiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Frothyman, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Frothyman

Frothyman New Member

I am renovating my bathroom and I am planning to lay ceramic tile on the floor. I'm not sure whether it is better to put in the toilet pan first and then tile around it or to put the tiles down first and sit the pan on top. Any suggestions? If I put the pan on top then how do I drill holes for the fixings?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Before tiling, put your toilet where it is supposed to go
    mark around it and where the screw holes will be then when fitting tiles, cut that much out for your screw holes, plenty for fine adjustment. Remember they may go in at an angle.

Handyandy - really

3. Tile it first, plumb w.c in temporarily in correct position. Either with a pencil shaved down, mark the fixing holes (remembering angle the screw will go at) remove w.c drill, plug. Wc back in, use brass screws with either ptfe wrapped around to not damage pottery, or use elongated washers, that depress and spread.

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

5. Frothyman

Frothyman New Member

Thanks guys. The answer seems to be to put the tiles under the pan, rather than try to cut round it. I do have a set of the tile drills suggested so if they are wide enough for the screws then problem solved.

6. handyman - brass is used on sanitary as its non rust, normal screws will corrode in time....

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Another tip if you're screwing into ply is to dip the screw into your yellow petroleum (from pan connector) just in case you need to remove the screws, they come out easier. Never bother doing it myself but just a thought!

8. handyman.

handyman. New Member

bstyle, is this toilet fitting or your sex life your talking about here ;)

Fair point about brass screws, I have no brass screws, suppose stainless steel will do?

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Stainless will be fine, remember to get a wide girth! screw so it doesn't go through pan or use a large screw cup with cover

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Nice one :)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear earlier.
    What I meant was to save having to drill through the tiles, cut a bit out of the tile when fitting, so you can go straight to the floor for fixing.

Handyandy - really

12. sounds like a bit of a bodge... :)

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Sounds like a good idea in theory but I would never put the pan in situ before tiling to mark holes. Also once holes are marked and adhesive has been spread onto floor it would be quite difficult to see the marks.

14. its not hard though is it, slimline pencil / felt tip, you can't go wrong, trying to take short cuts on fixing the pan only causes knock on effect problems, if pan connector leaked or excess water was spilt on tiles, water would blow the ply underneath, if the tiles under the pan were cut for ease of screwing the pan down....sounds like more work, measuring correctly, making the pan silicone sealant watertight, not just aesthetical...

15. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I must admit sometimes I have to think how can I make fitting a Pan easier? ;)

16. Mr. Handyandy

Look, guys. You're taking it the wrong way.
    Imagine tiling the whole floor. You will have 2 cutouts where screws will pass through to fix the pan.
    That's all. Better than trying to drill through them afterwards(with the possibility of breaking them).
    No bodge, just preparation.

Handyandy - really

17. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I knew exactly what you meant from your first post but in my opinion i've never needed to do this as it would be too much hassle for me.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Ah well. A little thinking beforehand can save a lot of head scratching later. That's what I say ;)

Handyandy - really

19. mj

mj Guest

On tiled floors especially, do you need to screw the pan down? A good bead of clear sanitary silicone around the base & allowed to set before use. It'll never move & no stress points on the pan caused by scewing down.