Bathroom Underfloor Heating Issue

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Samara Weidmann, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Samara Weidmann

Samara Weidmann New Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of having a new bathroom fitted, we're doing it ourselves. We are thinking of having underfloor heating installed, but are not too sure if it can be done with tiles on top? Is there anything we need to watch out for, by tiling on top of underfloor heating?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Samara

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

No problem with tiles. Electric or wet? What is the sub floor, timber or concrete?

3. Samara Weidmann

Hi, thanks for the rapid response.

It's an Electric Heating System and we are looking to install it on a ground floor background (concrete). So you think I shouldn't encounter any issues with tiling over?

Thanks again,

Samara

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

No probs tiling over it. Some tilers like to screed over the mat before tiling, others prefer to tile straight over it.
    Make sure you fit some insulation under the mat or it will take forever to heat up and cost loads to run.

5. Samara Weidmann

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the advice, will bear that in mind, much appreciated!

Samara

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I know you haven't specifically asked, but, are you okay with the electrical side of it?

7. Samara Weidmann

Hi there,

We had someone come in to install the electrical system in the end. We needed to make sure it was done properly.

Samara

8. As Metro says, you need decent insulation under the element or you'll be turning your solid ground floor into a giant heatsink.

The suppliers of the UF heating should have info on their site on how to approach this, I'd have thought.

9. Samara Weidmann

Thanks for the heads up Devil's Advocate. Everything has been installed and is working fine (for now).

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

glad you got it sorted :)

Samara Weidmann likes this.