Bathroom waste leak how to fix

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Hi guys I have a leak every time my bath runs is a tiny leak but it is consistent

It comes from the bath waste trap

Any thoughts on how to remedy , thanks

P.s I've tried 2 brand new traps

And the current one is fitted with minimal stress acting on it IMG-20210729-WA0005.jpeg IMG-20210729-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20210729-WA0001.jpeg

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Are u sure it’s the trap?
    Quite often it can look like it’s coming from the trap when actually it’s running down the threads of the waste fitting.
    If I was you I would either replace the waste fitting fitted on the bath or take apart and clean and then put back together using silicone sealant as well.
    The only other thing is if there is damage at the bottom of the threads where it meets the rubber washer on the trap, but u would be able to see or feel this.

3. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Water drips downwards so to find the source use dry tissue paper and dab it around all and any joints however it that droplets of water I spy on the black ribbed overflow pipe as well as the one seen on the waste nut.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Fit a new waste / overflow combo ,and not one of those banjo style that you have now. It looks out of alignment ,and they are cheap and cheerful rubbish.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

The mcalpine bath wastes are quality and very easy to clean as they have a removable part in the middle. They are a trap and bath waste fitting built into one unit. Quite deep though so may hit the floor, would be worth cutting that board back a bit further though and fitting one of them in my opinion:)

Attached Files:

6. Aron82

Aron82 Member

PTFE tape on every thread.

7. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

Really :(

8. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

You shouldn’t need to use ptfe anywhere if it’s all fitted correctly. You can use a bead of silicone where the waste goes through the bath(above and below) if required.

9. Movieman334

Movieman334 Member

Ok thanks guys thats super helpful
    Is this a push / pop up waste eg you press it down and it stops the water and press again and it let's the water out of the bath .

I'll take a video but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the waste some how and not the rap or pipe fixing .

But I'll do a quick video so.you can see

10. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Yeah the mcalpine one is a spring waste that you push with your fingers to pop up or down. You can also lift it out and and pull the middle of the trap out to clean away hair and grime etc.