Bathroom wiring zones

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYDave., Jul 24, 2019.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

hi all, just some clarification required please;

I’m looking at putting a shaver socket inside my sink cupboard , (regular type cabinet, 2 doors)

Socket use is as intended, shaver, toothbrush charging

Recently got new electric shaver, family electric toothbrushes, etc, and new battery technology (I guess) they only need charging around every 3 weeks

Can’t stand clutter and like absolute minimal look so, would now rather have charging bases inside sink cupboard (as used infrequently now) This is also part of a bathroom make over

Power to socket would have to come from bedroom ring, carpet being replaced soon so access to floorboards and I know exact cable runs

I’m thinking to spur off bedroom ring, come up inside sink cupboard, 3A FCU, then to shaver socket

Sockets are RCD protected although realise that bathroom leccie works comes under Part P / special
    location ?

Can’t seem to find any exact answer to what Zone is inside sink unit

Can see basin is Zone 2 and extends around basin, 600mm from basin, bath edge is out of Zone

Under bath, depending if panel is removable with a tool or not decides on what Zone comes under but nothing about inside a sink unit

You’re thoughts would be most welcome guys (and girls ????) :)

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't buy a pure shaver socket, you need one that is also rated for toothbrushes. MK upgraded theirs a few years back and the logo shows a razor and toothbrush. Some other brnads have also upgraded but some have not.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep thanks for that, have read about this ‘possible’ issue but not convinced

Have 2 shaver sockets at home, both with only shaving logo on, have used both for shavers and toothbrushes and other grooming implements with no ‘apparent’ problems

Socket in main bathroom must be 20 years old and en suite around 9. Both still working so ?? Just lucky perhaps ?

Any thoughts on my zone question ?

4. Pollowick

I have several examples of shaver sockets where the face plate has cracked due to use of electric tootbrushes being charged for 24 hours.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As I said, perhaps I’ve been lucky then with both shaver sockets

Got 4 leccie toothbrushes in house and they’re older models so only hold charge for couple days. Always have toothbrushes on permanent charge in both bathrooms, main bathroom charger gotta be 20 years old. In fairness though, not had electric toothbrushes that long but certainly last ten years would say one has been plugged in 24/7

No cracking or discolouration to faceplate and just shaver logo

Anyway, new toothbrushes hold charge for ages, hence I want to put shaver socket in sink cupboard and remove wall mounted one

Not an essential job I realise, just wanna know about the FCU being in sink cupboard / zones / rules and regs etc !

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

There is no zone around a sink only a bath or shower

Bazza likes this.
  7. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

There never has been one. Not to my knowledge anyway. They have got rid of zone 3 but it wasn't round the sink.

9. Pollowick

Comlec's images are taken from the IET website - so should be considered definitive.

However there are plenty of incorrect images out there such as:

[​IMG]

I wonder if teh confusion arises as te IET refer to a "shower basin" which has been mis-interpreted.

Personnally, I don't like them immediately above a sink and using te image above would place it towards the left of the shelf next to the sink.

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

It might be worth thinking about the socket distances from a sink for kitchens as that would be consistent and makes sense. It's not very onerous to meet that. Not sure that I have noticed it in the 18th though.

John
    -

11. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

https://www.universal-lighting.co.uk/blog/bathroom-light-zones/

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apologies Comlec for not saying thanks to you for your reply to my question, re placing FCU under basin in cupboard

As above posts, seems rather unclear and misleading info (not from yourself though) and online is the same

Many outdated zone diagrams still showing bathroom zone 3 and ‘most’ showing a 600mm arc around basin

I’ve just got new IP rated downlights for bathroom and on box, again shows this zone 2 around basin

But haven’t seen any diagrams showing specifically a cupboard under a basin

So it seems that my above plan is fine for locating FCU inside this cupboard ? (RCD protected via upstairs ring, 3A fuse in FCU)

Many thanks once again Comlec