Batten advice on cabin roof and cladding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Doug14, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Doug14

Doug14 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm building a cabin in southern Scotland and wanted some advice on battens and counter battens to fix cladding and roofing to.

Firstly, the roof will be OSB on timber rafters, then felt, then battens, then sheet metal fixed to the battens. I originally planned to have battens running parallel to the roof ridge at 600cc and then fix to this. However my question is do I need to first have battens running down the roof slope, then counter batten onto this at ninety degrees, then the metal? Do I need this double batten grid to allow adequate ventilation for any moisture which penetrates the metal, or is this overkill and giving myself more work?

Second question but similar: the cladding is 60/150x22mm larch board and batten siding. Do I need to batten vertically, then counter batten horizontally, then fix to this? Or can I just batten horizontally? I just want to ensure enough ventilation so that I'm not creating a huge damp area and asking for rotten siding!

Thanks for any help and advice.
    Doug

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What are the walls,OSB, then use a vapour control membrane like Tyvek House Wrap or similar,as to battening, some just use vertical battens, others counter baten as you mention

Me,If osb wall then vertical is enough for airflow, masonry wall then I would counter batten, & it also depend on which way you are using the cladding..

http://www.greenspec.co.uk/building-design/designing-for-air-movement/

3. Doug14

Doug14 New Member

Hi KIAB,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the walls will be OSB sheathing with a house wrap. The board and batten will be verticle, so I need to have horizontal batten to fix to. From the link you sent it looks like the gap behind the batten part of the cladding would provide enough vebtilventi. Bit am I best to just batten vertically first, and for the sake of a bit of timber know I have plenty of air back there?

What do you think regarding the roof situation?

Thanks
    Doug