Battening to breeze blocks (the old cinder type) question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by slapstyxx, Apr 26, 2016.

1. slapstyxx

slapstyxx Member

Hi all

We're midway through a self build extension. Part of the build involves updating the building's kerb appeal by stripping off all the existing elevations, which are hung with Redland plain tiles and replacing them with Cedral type cladding. The tiles are hung on horizontal battens at 4" centres. Marley recommends 50mm battens for the Cedral cladding, and of course they must be vertical.

So here's the dilemma. Once I started removing the tiles, I found the battens are fixed with cut clasp nails to the masonry. The walls are the old fashioned cinder-type, hollow breeze blocks that just disintegrate as soon as you touch them. My fear is that removing the battens and nails will leave the wall in severely weakened condition, and I still have to work out how to fix the new battens.

The existing battens seem quite sound. I'm thinking of spraying them with preservative, covering the lot with Tyvek and fixing vertical 38mm counter battens to them instead. Is that a viable solution, or am I missing something important?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

BTW, the wife won't hear of leaving the tiles there...