Battery backup for t'other halves computer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BikerChris, Aug 15, 2022.

1. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

One of the big (claimed) features of 5g is its very low latency which would vastly speed thing up. From a commercial cost point, laying fibre is as expensive as copper. The cheaper cost of fibre somewhat offset by its need for more complex joins etc. setting up 5g masts is relatively cheap as much of the capital investment in form of sites, masts and connectivity to hub has already been made. So as we abandon copper, fibre too will be dumped

2. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

All interesting stuff @quasar9 , cheers. The main thing with this I guess is that we have power, in some ways what you are saying means I have less to worry about with internet connection, so that is good.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It was not the heating failing due to loss of mobile phone geofencing, but not working out what had happened. Once I realised easy enough to disable the geofencing, but each time I walked past the wall thermostat the built in PIR detected me and turned heating on, so did not realise what was happening.

I am sure with a power cut, I could remove the blanking plate from the open hearth and find some wood and light a fire, I have stuff for a BBQ so can basic do same in doors.

About 4-5 years ago my wife bought an EE package, we both had new phones, new wrist watches, and a battery powered modem, the latter allowed me to use my tablet in the car for sat-nav, I found it handy at the time as house hunting, but the modem sat unused for nearly 3 years, and when wife upgraded our phones, never did anything about the modem, I have around three inverters, 150 - 250 watt, and some lead acid batteries, so could I am sure swap my boiler from FCU to plug and socket and keep it running from inverters for 24 hours, but if worried about loss of power, this [​IMG]is £300, and 700 watt, rather than mess around with batteries, this would be far better, couple of cans of petrol and I can go for days not hours. Simple for me is leave it under the Walls umbrella on patio, with lead through the cat flap, and move into flat instead of main house.

Only question is when we realise we are in another winter of discontent, will they still be available?

BikerChris likes this.
  4. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

When I lived in the US, a local company - Generac - made quite a business selling backup generators for household use. Gardens ("back yards") in the midwest US tend to be a lot bigger than they are here. If you had the time, money, space, and inclination - you could get yourself a 26kw "whole house" system - complete with a built-in wi-fi link. Pour a 4x6 concrete slab in the yard next to your four-car garage, and you're good to go.

Widespread power cuts weren't very common where I lived. Although recently Texas suffered a widespread, and extended power crisis. I'm sure generator makers capitalised on this.

Buying a big backup generator taps into the whole "Doomsday Preppers" lifestyle, which is surprisingly popular in much of the USA. Of course, in the USA you can quite easily equip yourself with an arsenal of semiautomatic rifles to fend of the hordes of ravening zombies and meth-crazed looters that inevitably appear anytime the power goes off for a couple of hours. Here in the UK we've just got to cross our fingers and hope that civilisation can hold itself together before things get out of hand.

BikerChris likes this.
  5. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Thanks again @MGW , that's all very interesting stuff, yeah I'll definitely consider a petrol genny.

With the potential massive price hikes and petrol costing the way it does, I'm more keen to invest is some sort of solar/battery arrangement and may be not just for her computer, but the whole house. You know, when I have a spare £15k...hmm.

6. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Yeah @vrDrew63 , our back yards or tiny compared to the US, by chance I said above that I might even look into whole house power, though I don't have a 4 car garage...and in fact no garage at all! :)

I guess here in the UK, all we can do is help others when possible, and keep the door locked in case a meth-crazed teenager is in desperate need to charge their phone to look at tic tok.

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

There is a generator called the Wispergen, using mainly on yachts, using a Sterling engine, I thought some one was having a joke when they talked about a wobble shaft, but it does have one, often in homes combined with the central heating boiler as it can use the waste heat being an external combustion engine. British Gas did them for a while, but did not catch on, main point is hardly any noise which is I suppose important on a yacht, but the price is silly.

But still an interesting idea.

8. BikerChris

BikerChris Active Member

Interesting stuff @MGW

Back to the task at hand though, I reckon I will get 2 batteries because like @Bazza-spark said, if one pops its clogs, it can still limp along.

Thanks all for your help!

Bazza-spark likes this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The 'Wobble shaft' is a derivation from the squash plate pumps used in aircraft and latterly in car air con compressors, these usually have 6 pistons, 3 on each side of the plate.