Battery care when not using car as self isolated?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by MGW, Mar 19, 2020.

1. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Two cars and spare batteries I am alternating which is charged using a smart charger, but the question is what about the Jaguar XE, this has stop start and engine management, will it mess it up if I use a charger? Is it better to simply run the engine from time to time, and if so for how long and how often?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

You can still go out for a drive even if you're self isolating. The only risk you'll encounter is if you need to fill up and you'll still need to do that if you run the car on the drive. You'll also keep all the moving parts working, saving brakes sticking on, discs corroding and so on. Just go for a short spin.

3. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Go for drive for 15mins every 2 weeks. Or run engine for 15mins. I'd go late evening when it's quiet on roads if you want. Save going stir crazy. Not seen anything saying you can't however, if your ill stuff the car. Stay in until your felling better before going out as 7-10 days parked up won't effect battery much. Problem is you need to stay in if others in house go ill even if your ok and over it, as could be on your hands or body but can't see any reason a spin around block will hurt. Stay away from from people though. Jmo. Not official

kitfit1 and masterdiy like this.
  4. masterdiy

masterdiy Well-Known Member

When doing this, just make sure you get up to normal engine temp.
    This will stop the oil creaming up & drawing in the damp air.

kitfit1 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

At the moment i've still got work until the end of May (or a full lockdown), so have no problem with a stop start Vivaro battery.
    What i do have lots of experience with is motorbikes though and the same good practice with motorbikes will apply with cars as well when they are laid for a period of time.
    My bike gets connected to an Optimate battery conditioner every 2 weeks for a day during the winter lay up. But the best way to deal with it is to actually ride/drive, as has been mentioned. Just leaving the engine running for 15mins actually can do more harm than good. The engine oil will never get up to full running temp, which in turn promotes unwanted extended wear on all the moving engine parts. A long lay up can also promote condensation in the fuel tank, if you are going to lay it up make shure the fuel tank is full. You don't want mould growing in the cooling system either, so always make shure it has plenty of antifreeze in it.

WillyEckerslike and masterdiy like this.
  6. masterdiy

masterdiy Well-Known Member

So, what Bikes do you have?
    As I have left it to late to tax this month, (been to busy) I'll be out on it in April.
    Triumph Tiger Sport.
    Suzuki VStrom.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Only one at the moment, a Ducati 1098s. Mine is SORN as well and to be honest it will be staying SORN until this crisis is over the peak.

8. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

Not a chance, I live in mid Wales, more traffic around Snowdon than ever seen before, Gladstone rock snowdonia has again seen the multitude, thought it was crazy to follow Gladstone all that way, it is at least 5 miles from a road for cars, but whole area is heaving with visitors, and nothing is open so all on walks.

Signs don't help [​IMG] seems all the caravan sites are full.