Baxi Boiler Losing Pressure

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Susantootsies, Oct 6, 2008.

1. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Are you sure the pipe outside is your condensate pipe ,is it plastic ? If its copper ,that's the pressure relief pipework !!

2. Samz

Samz New Member

Hi
    Yes it is the condensation pipe...confirmed by the Baxi man.
    Cheers

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

And the problem ceased to exist for 5 days after one chap bled your radiators ? You then bled a radiator ,which would obviously result in a pressure drop ,so did you then top up the pressure ? Very strange as non of that would result in condensate continually running when boiler is not in use . it would though ,possibly cause the pressure relief valve to open ,is any water ever showing at the prv pipework outside ??

4. Samz

Samz New Member

Yeah it's very odd & driving us mad!
    Yes we topped up the pressure after bleeding each rad.
    Sorry whats the prv? There is anoter pipe that's not the condenser & it' dry.

5. Hmmm, the guy (who cannot sort the issue) ID'd the condensate pipe?

Samz, could you take a photo (under 2MP) of this pipe - the one that's trickling?

Another very simple test that they should have carried out is to repressurise the system and then shut off the two isolating valves under the boiler that lead to the radiators. If pressure still falls, then the leak must be from within the boiler and not the rads and pipes.

6. Samz

Samz New Member

Hi
    I tried taking a pic but it's over 3...so won't load.
    Baxi man did isolate 2 valves underneath & we had no heating for 24hrs hours so we could test it. He left the pressue at 1.5bar. When we turned them back on, the needle dropped to the red again.

Given that we've had the track & trace man round who found nothing do you think it could be a pressure vessel. ( we've googled)
    Thank you

7. Hang on - the guy pressurised the system, turned off these two isolating valves, left it for 24 hours - and the pressure HADN'T dropped?

And the pressure dropped to the 'red' only when he opened these two valves again?

If so - that indicates that the leak is obviously not within the boiler, but in the rad circuit.

(You follow what I'm saying?)

Can you confirm if this is the case?

(Meanwhile, there are as many ways to reduce photo sizes as there are pixels.)

8. Samz

Samz New Member

Sorry trying to reduce the size of pics is beyond me...lol.

Yes, exactly that. Once we opened the 2 valves we were in the red again....we were told we must have a leak in the system not the boiler...but after paying for track & trace & all their equipment they found nothing!?

9. Bizarre.

Summat don't add up here.

10. Samz

Samz New Member

So, thought I'd update you to the mystery........we have found the leak downstairs under the floor boards by a rad!! Never thought I'd be so pleased to find a leak....lol.....the water was peeing out.
    A plumber has fixed it for a small sum of £72 & touch wood .....all is good with the boiler!
    Needless to say, the trace & access company will be hearing from me.
    Thanks 4 ur advise

Allsorts and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Wow - lucky!

Great find. And, yes, whatever the T&A company charged you should end up back in your pocket - along with an apology.

12. Samz

Samz New Member

Yes very lucky.

Most definately, a recorded letter will be sent!
    Cheers

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Glad you found the leak ,but that does not explain why the condensate pipe is discharging even when boiler is not running ? How was this resolved ?

14. alan gladwin

alan gladwin New Member

Had similar issues, symptom, top up boiler it would run one heat cycle, pressure would drop. I put a plastic bag loosely over pressure relief valve pipe end, this partially filled while boiler was hot, this led me to conclude the pressure 'expansion' vessel was full of water, the expansion was being forced out of the pressure relief, I drained the expansion vessel (which was full of water) and boiler has operated without issue for a year. It is now 'playing' up again and I suspect a bladder in the vessel is split, hence me on here looking at replacement expansion vessels. I read this thread a year ago, and believe someone adjusted the pressure relief valve believing it to be at fault and burst the heating coil, concluding that had been at fault all along.

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Jumping to conclusions, pal :)

When you say you 'drained the expansion vessel', do you mean you removed it and water drained out the pipe that connected it to the boiler? If so, then - d'uh - that side should have water in it.

Did you then repressurise the 'air' side? If not, then it was probably only a matter of time...

You can test for a burst bladder (ooh-er) by pressing the Shrader valve and seeing if water comes out. If a notceable amount does, then it's shot.

Your choice then is to look for a replacement if it's easy to fit (some slot in the side of the boiler, others need the whole bludy boiler to come off the wall...) or to fit a 'remote' EV somewhere else on your system where it's easy and not a physical issue. It needs to be on the 'return' pipe, ideally - but not really important - as close to the boiler as possible.

Make and model of boiler?

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Oh, I'm lovin' that deleted member 33931. :oops: