Baxi Duo Tec Combi 24kw - E168 Fault

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Glad its Friday, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Evening all:
    Any thoughts on the above intermittent fault please.  I?ve never been able to re-create it, however, my customer is experiencing the problem daily.

It would appear to be a bus problem on the board but what is causing it?  I?ve checked resistances across the pump and gas valve (all above 4mohm).  Supply to the boiler is all good.  Only fault I found with the boiler was the diverter valve motor which I?ve changed (it didn?t index properly) but I?ve still got the fault.

Could a stray current on the earth wire cause this ? the house does need to be updated on the wiring side (no RCD).

Many thanks

2. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I can find no reference in the manual to fault E168 It jumps from E160 to E193 you may have the wrong fault no written, if not you need to phone Baxi technical support to find out what that E168 no refers to. I can't imagine a missing RCD causing the problem, but I presume you checked correct polarity of live and neutral and that the earth is good too.

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

4. petertheplumber

Thanks for that Sean,  so the error code is following a reset or other code problem as :- Sometimes when error code E168 is displayed, the boiler will have been reporting one of the following error codes beforehand:  E20, E28, E50, E110, E119, E125, E130, E131, E133, E156, E160  These error codes all reference specific problems with the boiler and can be fixed with relative ease by a Gas Safe registered engineer. In this situation, E168 appears because the boiler has reset. This is triggered either by a person using the boiler controls or by a computer program automatically running in the boiler system. A reset makes the boiler forget that it has a problem until it tries and fails to start up. Sometimes, when this happens, the boiler then can't detect the exact problem as it did before, so displays E168. See below for more detail about what you should do if E168 is displayed. The electricity supply to the boiler has been interrupted  Boilers need a constant, reliable and regular supply of mains electricity to work properly. If this isn't available or becomes interrupted, then the boiler is likely to fail. When this happens, E168 appears because the boiler detects that it isn't working properly but is not able to detect any faulty parts, as there aren't any.
    So the boiler could be generating it's own fault, or the electrical supply is not constant. Perhaps there is cause to more closely examine the electricity supply to boiler, maybe surge's some other appliance drawing a large amount of power, etc.

5. Glad its Friday

Thanks for the link Sean - no need to copy and paste it all out Peter (but thanks for your response as well!).
    The boler just fails with the E168 code - I think I'll double check all continuity through the boiler and then concentrate on the external power supply, got a feeling my problem lies outside the boiler.
    I'll keep you posted next week.

6. petertheplumber

Good luck with that, not an easy one by the looks of it.

7. Cojster

Cojster New Member

I had the same problem recently my boiler kept showing E168 I would reset it and it would be ok for a while, didn't effect the hot water but the heating seemed to overheat then switch off. Thought is was perhaps a blockage somewhere so flushed the system and treated, didn't work. Changed the pump because that kept stopping didn't work, replaced heat exchanger didn't work, replaced the diverter didn't work, replaced ntc sensor finally what cured my problem was a new PCB. I now have a 5 year old boiler full of new parts so should be ok for a while. I have not had error e168 show up again since replacing PCB and have had no issues since........

8. Glad its Friday

E168 seems to be the Baxi code displayed when the boiler doesn't know whats wrong. Eventually solved my problem with a new board, traced the problem as follows: the boiler would start ok and then the 240v on the pcb to the gas valve would fail switching off the gas. Easy when you know but took a while to find as the fault was intermittent and even when it did happen while I was there, the evidence went away when the boiler stopped. Anyway, managed the repair without having to change every part in the boiler, kept the cost down to the customer, happy days.