Baxi not lighting

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by robertpstubbs, Feb 23, 2020.

1. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I have a Baxi WM 38/3 RS. Every so often the pilot goes out (wind?) and sometimes it doesn’t light easily.

So far today it won’t relight. Any suggestions?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

May need a new thermocouple.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Does it light and then go out when you release the button?

4. robertpstubbs

No. It just won’t light.

Normally if I wait a day and retry it does.

5. Bob Rathbone

Then it's not the thermocouple, could be the pilot jet blocked or restricted.

terrymac likes this.
  6. robertpstubbs

After leaving it for a while it has now lit.

The Guide implies the gas line needs to be purged but doesn’t say how to do it.

image.jpg

7. robertpstubbs

I know how most things work, but have always been afraid of boilers since as a child watching my mother led me to believe that operating a boiler involved witchcraft.

It worried me that lighting a boiler seemed to involve setting fire to piles of newspapers and waving burning branches around in the kitchen.

It also puzzled me why my mother kept turning all pilot lights in the house off when relighting them was so much trouble.

8. Bob Rathbone

The gas line will only need purging after work has been done on the line and allowed air to enter the line, if you have not disconnected the gas line, then purging will not ne required. The pilot jet is blocked, renew the pilot assembly.
    It's an old inefficient boiler, don't spend too much on getting it fixed, might be better to install a new boiler.