Baxi Platinum E168 Code

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by AxelS, Mar 31, 2020.

1. AxelS

AxelS New Member

Hello,

I have a Baxi Platinum (Potterton) Combi Boiler, about 10 years old. It has started to randomly not fire up - sometimes it works fine for days and then the problem starts, sometimes it happens three times a day. The thermostat signals low temperature, the boiler's pump kicks in, but there is no spark and hence no heat. After a while the display shows E168. It never happens when I turn on the hot water. I've had a local heating engineer here five times now. They have carried out the following work:

- Cleaned electrodes, checked gas working pressure (first visit)
    - New heat lead, spark electrode, and spark generator (second visit)
    - New PCB board (third visit)
    - New thermostat (fourth visit)
    - Looped out external controls (fifth visit)

But the problem persists. I am now GBP1400 out of pocket, the engineer is at the end of his wits. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try? Any suggestion is much appreciated - I just don't know what to do short of replacing the entire boiler which I obviously don't want to do, given that I just replaced half of its parts. Many thanks!

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Has the electricity supply to the boiler been interrupted?

Boilers need a constant, reliable regular supply of mains electricity to work properly. If this becomes interrupted, then the boiler is likely to fail. When this happens, E168 appears because the boiler detects that it isn’t working properly but is not able to detect any faulty parts, as there aren’t any.

Also can indicate a faulty pcb, however you said this has been changed. Also it can produce this error code if the boiler detected a problem & then reset?

3. AxelS

AxelS New Member

Hello, many thanks for your reply! As far as I know, the only time the electricity supply was interrupted was when the engineer worked on the boiler. And yes, the pub has been changed but the problem persists - sometimes all is well for a few days, yesterday I had to restart it 7 times in a row to get it to fire up again!

4. Stadan

Stadan New Member

Has the earth been checked ?

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I find it amazing that customers will pay for someone to not fix their boiler. The 'engineer' clearly has no idea of what the problem is, he just changes good bits and charges you for it. Time to ask for your money back or for the 'engineer' to fit a new boiler and take what you have paid so far off the bill. This may sound harsh on the engineer, but as an electrical engineer, a real one, I would not charge the customer if I could not resolve the issue.