BAXI

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by AlexNT, Mar 7, 2004.

1. AlexNT

AlexNT New Member

I am about to replace my 20 year old Glow-worm and going to go for Baxi Combi Instant 105e. Would anyone kindly advice whether it's a right choice. I have 3 bedroom house with 7 radiators. Are there any particular issues with Baxi?

Many thanks

2. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

I replaced a 28 year old Ideal RS80 Cast Iron floorstanding boiler with a Baxi 105e last year. It has been trouble-free to date and performs as specified. Hot water is plenty to drive two mixer showers at mains pressure. I am delighted with it.

You should note however that this boiler will become obsolete in 2005 when the new Building Regs mandate that all new boilers must be Condensing Boilers. I say this because I don't expect this boiler to last for 28 years and in anticipation of having to replace it with a physically larger unit in about 10 years, I have left sufficient space around it.

3. AlexNT

AlexNT New Member

Wheel-nut,
    Thank you for your advice. One more question. Are there any disadvantages in having instant version. The price difference is negligible and the benefits of instant are worth it, so why would anyone opt for 'none-instant'?

4. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Alex, When in "instant" hot water mode, the boiler has to be kept cycling and I didn't think I would want to do that 24*7. I find that the delay in HW getting to the taps is about 40secs and that is OK for me.

I agree that the boiler price is marginal but the running cost may not be. Also, I wanted to keep it simple for maintainability. My Ideal Cast Iron boiler only needed the pilot adjusted once in its 28 years of faithful service!

Only my rationale... you have the choice.

5. AlexNT

AlexNT New Member

It makes sense. 40 minutes is not long to wait, less fuel cost and one less thing to go wrong, so I’ve ordered “none-instant”.

Thanks again.

6. Jack

Jack New Member

It makes sense. 40 minutes is not long to wait, less
    fuel cost and one less thing to go wrong, so I’ve
    ordered “none-instant”.

Thanks again.

That sounds like a really long time to me ;)

7. Wheel-nut

Wheel-nut Member

Not if you previously relied on a copper kettle on top of an AGA. :)

8. dp

dp Guest

If water is metered, you ARE paying more. Preheat was available on Vaillant combi some 25 years ago. Interesting same thing is in fashion now.