Bay Window Insulation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lavan Sivapalan, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Lavan Sivapalan

Lavan Sivapalan New Member

Hi All,

I have just bought a 1930s house with bay windows and during the winter I have noticed condensation on the wall along with the window.

To stop the condensation I have resolved the bathroom extraction with a humidstat extractor, leaving the extraction on whilst cooking, drying clothes in conservatory etc etc.

However, the wall is still very cold, I am guessing this is due to the walls being 9inch brick whilst the bay window is 4inch.

I have searched online and realised the correct fix for this is to take the plaster off, batten and insulate the wall and replaster.

However, I am planning to install a storage box custom made to fit the bay window. If I was to insulate the wall on top of the plaster and stick the insulation to the wall, then building the storage box on top of this, will this also resolve the problem?

Is there any worries of damp between the insulation and the wall? Or damp anywhere?